We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to California July 2021

J F
Level Contributor
21 posts
Trip to California July 2021
Save

My family and i are traveling to california first week of july to

Celebrate my daughters 21 bday and my babygirls 3 rd bday we will be there for a week

Any ideas on perfect place to

Celebrate bdays especially for the 21 year old? Napa valley was on our mind but not sure whats out there she doesnt drink and we dont promote alcohol but we do drink wine on special occasions if theres a family gathering or party

Any idea on where to stay its a family of 7

Thanks

13 replies to this topic
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
35,096 posts
44 reviews
40 helpful votes
1. Re: Trip to California July 2021
Save

Where are you traveling from and into what airport? Or, are you driving?

What is your budget per night for a hotel, per room?

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Trip to California July 2021
Save

What are the ages, besides the two mentioned? I would skip Napa if you aren't that into wine. There's not much else. It's pretty and all, but for a family of 7 who doesn't drink much wine, there's far more to see in California than Napa.

Also, That's next month, Thinks will book up pretty quickly.

J F
Level Contributor
21 posts
3. Re: Trip to California July 2021
Save

We are driving from

Texas and going to northern Cal my family lives there

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
90,008 posts
188 reviews
151 helpful votes
4. Re: Trip to California July 2021
Save

Ask your family.

Where in Northern California? Are you staying with the family for your week in California?

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
5. Re: Trip to California July 2021
Save

Yeah, it would really help to know where in Northern California your family lives. So after I posted (and it's too late to edit) perhaps if you clarified what interests you in Napa. I'm kind of unclear if you are looking for a special restaurant or suggestions for an itinerary, or both.

J F
Level Contributor
21 posts
6. Re: Trip to California July 2021
Save

I want to do a nice dinner for my daughter for her 21 st bday so we thought Napa is nice. Any suggestions on what to do in Napa Valley like maybe for the day with the family then have a nice dinner afterwards so i wiuld say for about 20

People and dont know my budget yet but i have to see the diff avenues and my options before i can make

Comparison and my brother lives in Granite Bay and sister lives in Folsom near downtown Folsom

Thanks

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
11,070 posts
7. Re: Trip to California July 2021
Save

Napa is pretty hot in July. I would head to Lake Tahoe or Truckee, (donner lake?)

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
28,090 posts
93 reviews
68 helpful votes
8. Re: Trip to California July 2021
Save

Since your daughter doesn't drink, I don't imagine a birthday spent in wine country will be all that special for her. What does she like to do? Or even better, let her plan her birthday.

Or look into Sonoma... explore the Russian River Valley and Marin/Sonoma coasts (cooler than staying inland), then have a nice dinner in Sonoma. For 20 people, maybe the Swiss Hotel's back patio? Are you thinking of spending the night, or does it have to be close enough to Folsom or Granite Bay to get everyone back home?

J F
Level Contributor
21 posts
9. Re: Trip to California July 2021
Save

How far is snoma from

Folsom? If its a nice place to

Stay then we would rather stay the night

Im

Open to

Anything at this moment

Thanks

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
21,977 posts
127 reviews
69 helpful votes
10. Re: Trip to California July 2021
Save

If I am understanding this correctly, you are staying with family in the Folsom area and want to plan a day and dinner with family to celebrate your daughter's 21st birthday - and there will be about 20 of you.

I agree that since none of you are into wine and you don't want to promote alcohol, going to Napa is probably not the best choice. Things are pretty wine-centric there and it's a long haul back to Folsom after dinner.

I think Lake Tahoe is a much better idea. It's still a long drive from Folsom, but there are more things to do there, it's beautiful, and there are plenty of good restaurants. You could choose a day time activity and follow up with a nice dinner. You could take everybody on a boat tour. You could spend the day on the beach sunning, paddleboarding, kayaking, swimming. You could go on a hike. You could take the scenic gondola ride at Heavenly Valley. There are float trips on the Truckee River. Lots of options.

Reply to: Trip to California July 2021
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.