We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

February 2024 Trip

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
February 2024 Trip
Save

Hi All, Hoping you will be able to provide me a little bit of advice, I have read that Riga will be quite cold in February how cold is cold? Hat, scarf & gloves cold? or thermals needed?

Secondly is there any places you would recommend visiting in or around Riga during the month of February? we will be using public transport or taxis. TIA

5 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: February 2024 Trip
Save

Hi Paula! It depends on how much time you are going to spend outdoors. For walks I usually wear long dune coat, hat, scarf and gloves. And winter boots with unslippery sole. Whether to wear thermal wear or not is your choice, but I don't think you need it if you are in the city and can return to hotel whenever you want.

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
155 posts
22 reviews
28 helpful votes
2. Re: February 2024 Trip
Save

February used to be the coldest month. But nowadays you never know... I suggest to check weather forecast close to your departure date. It's never accurate but you get idea whether expect daytime freezing below -15/-20 or melting snow around +/-0 or anything in between.

North East England
Level Contributor
6 posts
33 reviews
78 helpful votes
3. Re: February 2024 Trip
Save

Hi Paula, I was there last weekend. We did the Old Town on Saturday, this included thirty minutes in the war museum next to the House of the Blackheads. We did the Hop on Bus (this was 25 euros and disappointing to be honest as you don't get to see much of Riga). The market (the four big hangars) is a must, some of the food on offer is excellent. And of course, we spent a good few hours in the pubs, We found the local people to be friendly.

On Sunday we went to a Motor Museum about 12km from the centre. If you are flying into Riga Airport, beware of unofficial taxi drivers who will charge you 40 Euro instead of 15. You can download the BOLT app (their version of Uber), which will save you a lot of money. Have a great time and wrap up warm!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
29 reviews
55 helpful votes
4. Re: February 2024 Trip
Save

It hit -15C this past winter!

I also wouldn't recommend the bus tour. I'd prefer to walk around the compact Old Town.

You can also get the 22 bus from the airport to The Old Town. The fare is €1.50 and during the day there's four buses an hour. Journey time is half an hour and you get off immediately after crossing The Daugava River.

A train trip to Jurmala on the coast may interest you.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
4,158 posts
164 reviews
183 helpful votes
5. Re: February 2024 Trip
Save

I was there in December 2022 and stayed warm in a thick knit cap, gloves, insulated boots with non-skid soles and a long puffy coat. (My coat reached below my knees.) February is said to be colder tha December.

I took a walking tour and it was definitely worthwhile. I used the Bolt app several times without problems.

Edited: 26 October 2023, 12:10
Reply to: February 2024 Trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Riga
Recent Conversations
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.