We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nelson airport / international flight

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
88 posts
30 reviews
28 helpful votes
Nelson airport / international flight
Save

I’m flying out of Nelson airport on Monday, through Auckland and back to the states. Do I go through any international security measures in Nelson or not until Auckland? I’m booked through with Air New Zealand and only have a 1 hour 20 min layover which hardly seems like enough time given on the way here, we had to get our bags in Auckland, do the bag drop off and then walk about ten minutes from the international to domestic terminal. I know we won’t go through customs until we’re back in the states so that will save time. Do we have to do the same bag drop on the way out of Auckland or is there a chance our bags will be transferred directly through to our final destination? Any tips on making the transfer more quickly?

27 replies to this topic
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
17,498 posts
214 reviews
106 helpful votes
1. Re: Nelson airport / international flight
Save

I assume you are on 2 ticket?

You will check you bags in Nelson right through to the US.

It's going to be tight and there is no room for delay or error.

There are no security checks in Nelson but are at the international terminal in Auckland.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
337 posts
383 reviews
227 helpful votes
2. Re: Nelson airport / international flight
Save

If both flights are on the same itinerary, cabin crew will know and may seat you near the back to let you disembark from your domestic flight first, if there has been any delay

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
6 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Nelson airport / international flight
Save

Coming into NZ you have to collect your bags in Auckland, go through customs and then make your way to domestic.

Leaving NZ, as long as your flights are on one ticket (PNR), your bags will be sent straight through to the USA so you only have to get yourselves from the domestic to international. It is a 10 minute walk, but there is also a shuttle bus every 15 minutes.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
17,498 posts
214 reviews
106 helpful votes
4. Re: Nelson airport / international flight
Save

Oops. Should have said, "assuming you are on 1 ticket?"

If you are flying on a Q300 you exit from the front, on a ATR its the back.

Edited: 25 February 2024, 07:51
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
88 posts
30 reviews
28 helpful votes
5. Re: Nelson airport / international flight
Save

Yes on one ticket. Thanks everyone!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
17,498 posts
214 reviews
106 helpful votes
6. Re: Nelson airport / international flight
Save

Dont dilly dally!

Nelson-Tasman...
Destination Expert
for South Island, Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand, Tonga
Level Contributor
24,214 posts
738 reviews
509 helpful votes
7. Re: Nelson airport / international flight
Save

wow - i fly often nelson to auckland to usa, australia or pacific islands. i would never allow anything less than 3 hours between domestic and international. In fact, there are so many domestic delays that we mostly fly up the night before. Cancellations, delays are common. our last flight from nelson was cancelled, 1.5 hours before it was due to depart. incoming flights delayed are the most common reasons for flight delays in nelson.

if they are on the same ticket check in is one hour before as they check your passport etc. If they are on separate tickets i would be worried.

when you arrive in auckland form nelson you need to get to the international terminal, go through immigration, go through security, get to the boarding gate and usa often has additional security measures, plus you can expect it to take 15 minutes or more just to walk to the boarding gate from security.

If everything goes smoothly you have a very very tight schedule. delays at immigration and xray can take an hour alone.

Nelson-Tasman...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,214 posts
738 reviews
509 helpful votes
8. Re: Nelson airport / international flight
Save

#2 nope - never seen that happen in nelson. back seats for rear exit aircraft are for gold status usually. similarly front seats for front door exit aircraft are for gold status.

its going to be tight and not uncommon for flights to be delayed out of nelson - due to late arrival of incoming flights, but can be due to operational requirements or a cancellation of flight.

I would seriously be stressed and OP going to be running between terminals

Edited: 25 February 2024, 09:49
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
337 posts
383 reviews
227 helpful votes
9. Re: Nelson airport / international flight
Save

#8 even if you don't get a seat near the plane exit, I've been on many domestic flights into Auckland where the crew tell everyone to remain seated and let people with international connections off the plane first

Nelson-Tasman...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,214 posts
738 reviews
509 helpful votes
10. Re: Nelson airport / international flight
Save

#9It doesn’t really work or happen. We ve been on international and domestic flights and there are so many people

Who have commitments, people to meet, pick ups, meetings that it’s not usual to stop everyone getting off for others. Because there are so many people with reasons. And some aren’t booked on same ticket

And quite honestly- it shouldn’t be everyone else’s problem for anyone who has less than 3 hours between their domestic and international

Edited: 25 February 2024, 13:16
Reply to: Nelson airport / international flight
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nelson
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.