We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive or train to Kaikoura

Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Drive or train to Kaikoura

Hi guys,

I'm travelling from Christchurch to Kaikoura for a night. Was wondering if it makes sense to drive there as opposed to taking a bus? Does the sights in Kaikoura mostly require a car to get around?

Reason being, if I don't need the car for Kaikoura, I can return the car in Christchurch first to save a couple days of rental expenses.

13 replies to this topic
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
9,709 posts
219 reviews
11. Re: Drive or train to Kaikoura

If you go by bus and can't park at your motel there is a parking building, "The crossing" across the road from the bus station.

There is now a date for the train.

However with a car you could drive past Kaikoura and check out the new road. The coastline is stunning.

Edited: 22 August 2018, 10:57
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
12. Re: Drive or train to Kaikoura

Thanks everyone for the feedback. It will be a honeymoon for the wife and I, so I am inclined to spend a bit at the expense of comfort.

Edited: 23 August 2018, 22:17
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
13. Re: Drive or train to Kaikoura

Probably an over-asked question.. but are there any recommended companies for car rentals?

Seems like every rental company has its share of bad reviews, so is it a case of hit and miss here?

Reply to: Drive or train to Kaikoura
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kaikoura