We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outback experience

Charleston SC
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Outback experience

We are elderly travelers (early 70's) who are interested in an outback experience on our own. Would a visit to Broken Hill be appropriate for us, with perhaps a day trip to Mutawintji National Park? Would we see red earth there? We will be in Australia in September and will not have a car, except perhaps as a short rental.

the overflow
Level Contributor
450 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Outback experience

Sounds like you have been reading a 'town like Alice'.....of course Broken Hill would be suitable for you especially if you are looking for a more off the beaten tourist track outback experience. consider

http://www.tristate.com.au/

you will see your share of red earth there and probably eat your share of red dust on those outback roads as well!

Edited: 09 June 2016, 13:02
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
7,309 posts
94 reviews
2. Re: Outback experience

Why not look at Uluru then. You get the red dirt and Uluru ? Fly direct to Ulur and spend a few nights there under beautiful skies

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,325 posts
2,127 reviews
3. Re: Outback experience

Broken Hill is a great outback experience however IMO Uluru would be more suited to seeing " Red dirt"...

See links for additional info.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-…

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
96 reviews
4. Re: Outback experience

Broken Hill is great and will certainly give you that 'outback adventure' feeling. Particularly if you take a drive out to Silverton and Mutawintji National Park. You'd definitely need a car around there though. Lots to look at around the area, if you do stay in Broken Hill, take a drive out to Patton Street and visit the old school milk bar, they have the best milkshakes and sundaes etc!

Like others have said, Uluru might be a better choice for that 'red dirt' experience. You can fly direct to Yulara and I'm sure there are transfers to the resort available (if not, there are hire cars there).

Charleston SC
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: Outback experience

We are still in rather early planning stages, just looking at options. Thank you for the input and links.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,918 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: Outback experience

If you do make it to Broken Hill, this self guided Artists' tour might interest you.

daytrippa.com.au/broken-hill-art-trail/…3807

I haven't done it yet, but it's on my list.

As a general note, there are some wonderful regional galleries, sometimes in quite small towns & I always find it worthwhile to seek them, and the local Historical Society out. Or, as many Aussies would more laconically say, the local "Hysterical Society". Go to the local Council if you can't easily find the info elsewhere in town - but most places are pretty good about putting their information on the web these days.

Paralowie, Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
35 reviews
7. Re: Outback experience

There is lots of red earth around Broken Hill. I think there is a lot to experience there. It has a very large artist population because of the lovely colours. You won't regret it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,536 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: Outback experience

Your question prompted me to go and have a look at Broken Hill tourism Now, of course, I need to go!

http://www.brokenhillaustralia.com.au/

Road trip!!!

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,949 posts
49 reviews
9. Re: Outback experience

We did our first trip to Broken hill in November loved it and hope to do another in a couple of weeks this time getting off the beaten track by driving through Pooncarrie and Menindee.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
134 reviews
10. Re: Outback experience

I would second the use of Tri State Safaris. My mum used them a couple of years ago and they were excellent. You could take their three day corner country tour if you wanted to do serious outback to an area few Australians get to, and needs 4 wd to access comfortably. We are about to do a Simpson Desert crossing with the them and so far so good.

Mutawintji is literally awesome. There is something about that place - spiritual, ancient. You need an indigenous guide to access the best bits and again Tri State can organise.

Last time I was at Uluru, it felt like a tourist trap. But I guess they have to herd people about to protect the place when dealing with such numbers. I prefer Kata Tjuta, where you can get away from the crowds, walk and feel the power of the massive ancient red rocks.

Something else you might consider, although not alone, would be a small group 2-3 day flight from Adelaide or Melbourne to Innamincka, Birdsville and Lake Eyre. We did such a few years ago and it was one of the best things we've ever done.

dicklang.com.au/lake-eyre-and-remote-outback…

http://kirkhopeaviation.com.au

Get answers to your questions about Broken Hill