We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Broken Hill to Dubbo

Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Driving Broken Hill to Dubbo

Hi All :) ... Doing a little driving for a few weeks in Jan. Broken Hill to Dubbo, yes a decent day drive... What is there to do along the way? I'll have a 6, 11 & two 15yr onboard! Heading through to Toowoomba.

Thanks - Todd

14 replies to this topic
Yulara, Australia
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
384 reviews
11. Re: Driving Broken Hill to Dubbo

Stop at Cobar, have a look at the open cut mine, there are a few other local parks and attractions. Big beer can, also stop at Wilcannia for a look at all the stone type buildings. Very interesting. It is a relatively easy drive although long there is hardly any traffic to contend with.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,907 posts
30 reviews
12. Re: Driving Broken Hill to Dubbo

That’s great, Todd! Just make sure you have plenty of water as Sweetbiscuit says - and Rid or some other fly repellent. It might be too hot in January for the little sods, but they can drive you nuts. I used to live in the Western Division & love it to bits - but one thing I don’t miss is those @$&+:( flies!

Sweetbiscuit -I can believe it about the Roos. A friend drove from Gongolgon to Cobar (230kms) in September & counted 1300 roo carcasss alongside & on the road.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
12,104 posts
54 reviews
13. Re: Driving Broken Hill to Dubbo

@Bokhara, yep, it's crazy at the moment. People can be stuck for hours and days out there if we can't get hold of a towie or they don't have insurance :-(

Roos are certainly not endangered and it is always horrible to hit one, but wow, I do wish for everyone they were a little bit brighter and a bit fewer in numbers!

Counting roos - one way to count down a road trip - personally I prefer the "Conversations" or "Chatters" pod casts.

Cheers.

Edited: 16 November 2017, 21:50
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
40,483 posts
450 reviews
14. Re: Driving Broken Hill to Dubbo

We used to pass the time on long outback drives by betting on when we would see a dead roo! Nearest to home; most in 100Km; live vs dead etc. Kept the kids amused for hours!!

Reply to: Driving Broken Hill to Dubbo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Broken Hill