We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rail travel to broken hill

Tamworth, Australia
1 post
rail travel to broken hill

When was the first train run from Dubbo to Broken Hill?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
9,762 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: rail travel to broken hill

Are you trying to win a bet ??

Do a google search or ask the State Library

Good Luck

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
727 posts
120 reviews
2. Re: rail travel to broken hill

Probably never. I don't believe trains ever connected the two cities. The Main West Line to Broken Hill ran (and still runs) via Orange and Parkes, not via Dubbo. Though you can now get a coach between Broken Hill and Dubbo, I don't think they were directly connected by rail.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
28,536 posts
66 reviews
3. Re: rail travel to broken hill

Great info from Rob.

I don't have huge amount of details but I vaguely recall some of the older XPT drivers and 'regional' based PSS's, talking about the Molong/Dubbo line. Perhaps that connected back in the late 20's or early 30's, but definitely not direct

Edited: 19 June 2017, 02:17
Gerringong...
Level Contributor
4 posts
55 reviews
4. Re: rail travel to broken hill

Molong to Dubbo branched off the line from Orange to Parkes and Broken Hill. The railway continued north-west through Dubbo to Bourke and Cobar. but broken Hill is west of Parkes.

5. Re: rail travel to broken hill

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2018, 15:18
Get answers to your questions about Broken Hill