We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glow Worms Seasonal Variation?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
58 helpful votes
Glow Worms Seasonal Variation?

Looking for anyone who has done it/knows of whether or not there is a "bad" time of year to visit the glow worm caves near Te Anau (or any of the ones around there). We are going to visit in Sept 2024. From what I could find, there best time of year is the summer (Dec to April according to several posts/blogs). I did find one travel blog where a user said they are gorgeous year round, the summer is just the "best". But the post was 7 years old and I couldn't find really any others that confirmed that.

Does anyone know if a trip in September would be worth it? Want to make sure we don't spend the time/money/effort before planning that.

Thanks in advance!

2 replies to this topic
1. Re: Glow Worms Seasonal Variation?

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

What are forum guidelines?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island, Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand, Tonga
Level Contributor
24,276 posts
742 reviews
511 helpful votes
2. Re: Glow Worms Seasonal Variation?

the glow worms are year round, and the caves temperature stays about the same year round

Reply to: Glow Worms Seasonal Variation?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Te Anau
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.