We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opening status of restaurant & supermarket in new year's day

Takarazuka, Japan
1 post
Opening status of restaurant & supermarket in new year's day

Hi,

I am planning to visit NZ in this new year holiday. I am going to arrive at Queenstown on Jan.1, will stay at Queenstown and Te anau in Jan.1 to Jan.3. (already decided to vist Milford sound on Jan.2)

I have not decided yet which city I should stay at Queenstown or Te anau.

I am just wondering if most of stores/restaurants will be closed in Queenstown and Te anau, due to new year's holiday. So, I would like to get information of the opening status.

I just googled to reach the information, however I cannot find any useful information.

I appreciate if someone who is familier with Queenstown and Te anau shares the information. It seems like it is expensive to say at accomodation in this term, please share with me some reccomended plan as well, if possible.

3 replies to this topic
Arrowtown, New...
Level Contributor
8,141 posts
68 reviews
65 helpful votes
1. Re: Opening status of restaurant & supermarket in new year's day

Konnichiwa Yusuke, unlike Japan where pretty much everything except departo and shrines is closed on Jan 1st and 2nd; officially NZ stores can open.

Christmas Day, Easter Sunday and until 1pm on ANZAC Day (April 25th) are the only dyas most places must close.

Soshite, so... supermakets will be open. Restaurants depend on the owners - especially around Queenstown. We've quite a few smaller places tbat choose to close on public holidays to give everyone a break.

Queenstown and Te Anau are also a little different, having a large portion on income being the touirst dollar - and New Years a peak time - places that might be closed elsewhere in NZ will likely be open.

Long story short... supermarkets and some restaurants will be open. Best to book restaurants in advance though!

Your most essential will be securing accomodation. Another TA poster was looking for Dec 31st/ Jan 1st accom for Queenstown back in August, and said anything still available was well out of their budget!!!

Good luck! ... ganbarremasu!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,087 posts
6 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Opening status of restaurant & supermarket in new year's day

Supermarkets and restaurants will be open as normal. Supermarkets may not open until 10am on New Year's Day. You are visiting at the busiest time of the year, so prices are high. Neither Queenstown nor Te Anau can be called a city. Te Anau has a population of under 3000. Queenstown is bigger with about 15,000 but both will be heaving with holiday makers at that time

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Christchurch, South Island, Akaroa
Level Contributor
51,277 posts
577 reviews
231 helpful votes
3. Re: Opening status of restaurant & supermarket in new year's day

I do not recommend going to Milford Sound on the 2nd if you are staying in QTN on the first (unless you decide to take the full day coach tour from QTN. If you are planning to self-drive you need 2N in Te Anau to reduce the drive time to a manageable 4 hr. One problem you might strike over the holiday weekend is that accommodation providers will have a 3-4 day minimum. stay to give their workers a bit of a break. Where are you going on the 4th? Do bear in mind that tour companies book accommodation more than a year in advance & many visitors book anywhere between 6 & 12 months ahead for the peak season so you might have to change your plans at this late stage.

Your 2 options , if you can get accommodation:

#1. Stay all 3 N in QTN and take a tour to Milford Sound.on either the 2nd or 3rd

#2. Stay in QTN on the 1st, subject to accommodation; drive to Te Anau on the 2nd , perhaps glow worm cave tour in the afternoon; do a day trip to Milford Sound on the 3rd, allowing 8 hr for the round trip; stay a 2nd night in Te Anau...

Reply to: Opening status of restaurant & supermarket in new year's day
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Te Anau
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.