We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Te anou to Christchurch

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
28 reviews
22 helpful votes
Te anou to Christchurch

Advice appreciated 😊Total 10 days South Island arrive late so 3 nights Queenstown then catch bus to Te Anou (2 hours? I hope) explore locally, next day Milford Sound tour 7 hours round trip. So 2 nights Te Anau-as didn’t want to be travelling 13 hours from Queenstown. So far total 5 nights. Need to travel to Christchurch (fly back to Sydney) but coaches only seem to leave from Queenstown very early so it would mean another night in Queenstown. Not too sure about West Coast as I’m not great at walking, want to see something different from glaciers, snow etc,. Ideal would be 2 day-1 night tour from Te Anou to Christchurch. I like the look of East coast but it was recommended to go from Queenstown to Dunedin then onto Christchurch.

5 replies to this topic
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island, Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand, Tonga
Level Contributor
24,276 posts
742 reviews
511 helpful votes
1. Re: Te anou to Christchurch

it would be a total shame to travel queenstown to christchurch and not make an overnight stop at mt cook national park.

Lindis pass, lake pukaki, mt cook national park, lake tekapo are much more than glaciers and snow and IMO one of the most scenery drives in NZ. And would be on my list of top recommendations to do in nz

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New Zealand, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,868 posts
440 reviews
245 helpful votes
2. Re: Te anou to Christchurch

Day 1 Arrive Queenstown

Day 2 Explore Queenstown

Day 3 Bus to Te Anau

Day 4 Milford sound tour from Te Anau

Day 5 Bus back to Queenstown

Day 6 Bus to Tekapo

Day 7 A Day in Tekapo

Day 8 Bus to Christchurch

Day 9 Day trip to Akaroa

Day 10 fly out or if an extra day explore Christchurch

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Christchurch, South Island, Akaroa
Level Contributor
51,282 posts
577 reviews
231 helpful votes
3. Re: Te anou to Christchurch

Not sure what you mean by liking the East Coast?? Most locals describe SH between Dunedin & Chch as the only boring road in the SI (it only brushes the coast briefly at Oamaru & Timaru).

Apart from flying I can't see you doing Te Anau to Chch in under 3 days by public transport. I drove it twice in 2 days a couple of years back, with stops at Lake Ohau on the way south & Aoraki Mt Cook on the way back, but as you say, this isn't possible by bus. Another option, which would be a pity, is to return to QTN on Day 6 & then take the all day Cheeky Kiwi tour to Chch on Day 7, but what do you have planned for you last 3 days? Couldn't you stop for 24hr at Aoraki Mt Cook to break the journey?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
28 reviews
22 helpful votes
4. Re: Te anou to Christchurch

Thank you so much yes I need to find a tour from te anou as opposed to departure from Queenstown to Christchurch through the middle we are not driving. Can you solve how to avoid spending another night in Queenstown after 2 nights at Te Anou to start the journey to Christchurch please

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island, Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand, Tonga
Level Contributor
24,276 posts
742 reviews
511 helpful votes
5. Re: Te anou to Christchurch

#4 i suggest you do the coach trip to milford sound from te anau and back to queenstown. that way you have one night at te anau and it gives you a night in queenstown to do the trip to mt cook national park.

Reply to: Te anou to Christchurch
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Te Anau
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.