We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do for pregnant lady in Kepler Track & Routeburn

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
What to do for pregnant lady in Kepler Track & Routeburn

Hey, in October we will be around South Island area and we planned to go and see Kepler Track and Routeburn Track. But, my wife will be around 6 months pregnant and will not be able to hike. Is there a good day-trip options that we can drive around with cars to see some scenery? Or perhaps helicopter? (I saw trips to Luxmore Hut, but it's still a 3 hour hike down from there that she can't do...). Thank you!

5 replies to this topic
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
965 posts
61 reviews
21 helpful votes
1. Re: What to do for pregnant lady in Kepler Track & Routeburn

If you're in the Te Anau area, the obvious things are cruises on Milford Sound and Doubtful Sound. There's also the cruise and visit to the Te Anau caves.

California
Destination Expert
for New Zealand
Level Contributor
18,662 posts
71 reviews
33 helpful votes
2. Re: What to do for pregnant lady in Kepler Track & Routeburn

There are many options for scenic helicopter flights. https://www.southernlakeshelicopters.co.nz/scenic-flights-experiences/

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island, Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand, Tonga
Level Contributor
24,276 posts
742 reviews
511 helpful votes
3. Re: What to do for pregnant lady in Kepler Track & Routeburn

i have done both tracks and the full walks suitable for a 6 month pregnant lady due to the steop sections with loose surface. the downhill centre if gravity changes when pregnant and lots of steep downhill.

however, you can walk from the control gates to brod bay and back on the kepler.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Christchurch, South Island, Akaroa
Level Contributor
51,282 posts
577 reviews
231 helpful votes
4. Re: What to do for pregnant lady in Kepler Track & Routeburn

I’m sure post #3 meant to say “ are not suitable” - which you already know. The Routeburn & Kepler Great Walks don’t open until late October and will be fully booked by now anyway.

If you have a car and are planning to self- drive to Milford Sound, you could do a number of short walks along SH94, including the start of the Routeburn at The Divide, as far as the turn off to Key Summit.

There is a lovely historic boat cruise on Lake Te Anau, called Faith in Fiordland or the caves tour which includes a cruise across the lake. I don’t recommend the day trip to Doubtful Sound as the logistics of boat/bus/ boat/ bus/boat are complex.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island, Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand, Tonga
Level Contributor
24,276 posts
742 reviews
511 helpful votes
5. Re: What to do for pregnant lady in Kepler Track & Routeburn

#4 correct not suitable. apologies - typing on my small device travelling.

the lakefront walk at te anau is lovely and suitable for all.

Reply to: What to do for pregnant lady in Kepler Track & Routeburn
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Te Anau
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.