We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stewart Island in July

Sunnyvale, CA
Level Contributor
245 posts
286 reviews
Stewart Island in July

We are planning to go to Stewart Island next July or August. We're avid hikers (though don't want to do any overnights) and birders and enjoy any kind of wildlife.

It's not our first time to New Zealand (last time was also July), though the last time we were on the South Island / Dunedin area it was apparently a mild winter so I'm worried about how cold it can be. We know it will be cold, but we're trying to get an idea how cold it will be, and how wet.

What are activities that are still good at this time of year? Kiwi viewing is a must - any recommendations? I know it's not as good as other times, but .. last time when we were on the North Island (Aroha eco-center) in July, they said it was very rare to find them and weren't even running the tours. My boys, who are avid birders, found them every night.

We're also going to go to Ulva island.

What about boat tours?

Any place we can see penguins? (we're also going to the Caitlins & Dunedin where I'm sure we have a better chance).

Any other "can't miss" hikes?

1 reply
Oz
Level Contributor
14,990 posts
50 reviews
1. Re: Stewart Island in July

Hi,

Half your luck. We were there July 2017. There was snow falling on Mt Anglem but the days were perfect.

My advice would be:

Fly to Stewart Island from Invercargil.

Allow a full day for Ulva Island.

Base you activities on the weather.

The DOC office in Oban has great maps of walking tracks and conditions. There can be deep mud on some tracks.

Ackers Hut at Harold Bay is a lovely walk.

https:/…

Cheers,

Reply to: Stewart Island in July
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Stewart Island