We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Matakauri, Eichardt’s or sofitel

London, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
49 reviews
49 helpful votes
Matakauri, Eichardt’s or sofitel

We are trying to decide between these 3 properties. Matakauri is slightly out of the centre and is very expensive ; Eichardt’s seems to be great location but slightly quirky accommodation options and mixed reviews and Sofitel is your typical hotel chain but at a good price point.

Which do you recommend to stay in? We have been to queenstown previously but unsure where to stay on this trip… any help greatly appreciated!

2 replies to this topic
Arrowtown, New...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
68 reviews
65 helpful votes
1. Re: Matakauri, Eichardt’s or sofitel

I can only speak second hand of Rosewood Matakauri - my friend babysat there a year or so ago (I believe new management since) and the room she was looking after the kids in was quite dated. I'm not sure if they have renovated since. The views are pretty magnificent though...

Eichardts seems to have an eclectic collection of differing rooms across several properties around the central lakefront.

And as you mentioned - Sofitel a more traditional hotel.

Personally, I'd pick one of the Naumi properties - Central Private or Private Dairy. Their quirkiness and bold use of colour is right up my alley.

Hulbert House is another I'd love to stay at - in a prime spot slightly up Queenstown Hill - with front row views across the bay. Small (in guest numbers), intimate, personal experience.

London, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
49 reviews
49 helpful votes
2. Re: Matakauri, Eichardt’s or sofitel

Thank you - I will look into these other options

Reply to: Matakauri, Eichardt’s or sofitel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Queenstown
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.