We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best of…. Recommendations please

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Best of…. Recommendations please

Fly/cruise/fly Milford sound ? safety and enjoyment both important

Ice bar ?

Jet boat ?

Winery tour (half day only) ?

Earnslaw cruise ?

Thanks in advance.

2 replies to this topic
Arrowtown, New...
Level Contributor
8,303 posts
68 reviews
65 helpful votes
1. Re: Best of…. Recommendations please

* Fly/cruise/fly Milford sound ? safety and enjoyment both important

COACH - cruise - fly is the best option. 'Best' is so subjective - personally I'd choose a company that offers a smaller coach and smaller boat. - otherwise they are pretty much all the same.

* Ice bar ? - not my cuppa tea, so I have little knowledge as to any differences

* Jet boat ? - what do YOU want from the jetboat? Each one has differences which might be the selling point you want.

Shotover Jet - the original 'canyons', though I wouldn't choose them due to difference in opinions regarding business practices

K-Jet - departs downtown - includes both Kawarau and Shotover Rivers

Queenstown Jet Boat/ RealNZ - has the biggest/ fastest boat with 2x V8 Raptor engines - goes up Kawarau River

Skippers Canyon Jet - get a small bus (20 seater) up the Skippers Canyon road (no rental vehicles allowed - pretty extreme road!), and jetboat the remote upper canyons of the Shotover River - this is my top choice - loads of history and experience

Dart River Jet - drive up to their Glenorchy base (beautiful road), continue up to Paradise, then jet the Dart River - stunning area. This would be my 2nd choice.

*Winery tour (half day only) ? My personal preference is to rent e-bikes from Arrowtown (my preferred is Better By Bike), and cycle the Arrow River Trail out to Gibbston Valley. They'll give you a winery map to choose your stops. Lunch at Gibbston Tavern or Kinross, then you can be picked up, or cycle back.

Otherwise, google is your friend - see which tours stop a wineries you're interested in. Consider whether you want to enjoy Gibbston Valley area or head out to Bannockburn/ Cromwell.

I've heard plenty of good recommendations about Altitude Wine Tours (they can also include Gin tasting rooms and breweries.)

*Earnslaw cruise ? Um - there's only one TSS Earnslaw steam ship. RealNZ are the company that runs/ you book through. I always recommend the Earnslaw cruise and BBQ Lunch over at Walter Peak Station. There are other options of what you can do when you reach Walter Peak Station - have a look on the RealNZ website.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island, Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand, Tonga
Level Contributor
24,725 posts
749 reviews
511 helpful votes
2. Re: Best of…. Recommendations please

milford sound coach, cruise, fly. best of….. IMO pure milford have the best most comfortable boat with lots of comfortable lounge inside seating, outdoor seating and outdoor covered seating.

southern discoveries are the only tour that goes to the underwater observatory.

ice bar - by the wharf.

i agree with #1

And if you can ride a bike competently i would also suggest hiring ebikes and riding from arrowtown to gibbston valley winery.

Reply to: Best of…. Recommendations please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Queenstown
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.