We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time and resorts to ski

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
7 helpful votes
Best time and resorts to ski

We are considering going to ski in Queenstown area in July/August. What's the best time to go and where (which resorts)? is the quality of snow good?

8 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New Zealand, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,115 posts
440 reviews
245 helpful votes
1. Re: Best time and resorts to ski

Peak season is around end of July and August and most resorts should be good if you are a beginner Cardrona would be my choice. Depends if you can get accommodation as prices will be high and accommodation in short supply

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
7 helpful votes
2. Re: Best time and resorts to ski

One of my sons and I are intermediate (blues), other son and wife are beginners.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New Zealand, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,115 posts
440 reviews
245 helpful votes
3. Re: Best time and resorts to ski

This may assist you

https://www.cardrona.com/winter/mountain/mountain-info/

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
17,619 posts
214 reviews
107 helpful votes
4. Re: Best time and resorts to ski

The general view is that Cardrona is the place for those not yet on "black" trails

NY
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Best time and resorts to ski

I am also looking for the same. Does Cordrona have enough green slopes for the beginers?

Edited: 06 April 2024, 16:09
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
7 helpful votes
6. Re: Best time and resorts to ski

We've decided to go to Remarkables in the first week and half of August. Few questions -

1) Would we need to book ski equipment rentals, ski lessons, shuttle transfer in advance or is that easily doable once we get to Queenstown?

2) Does anyone have recommendations for a good serviced apartment building close to town center of Queenstown (so we don't have to rent a car)?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
7 helpful votes
7. Re: Best time and resorts to ski

I should've mentioned that we'd like to stay near a place from where we can get the ski shuttle to the remarkables easily. since we are not used to the cold weather, less than 5 min walk is preferable. A hotel or bed and breakfast would also do within 400-450 nzd a night.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
7 helpful votes
8. Re: Best time and resorts to ski

We are considering staying at Holiday inn express and were wondering if anyone knows whether the ski shuttle bus to the remarkables stops at the bus stop outside the hotel? on the map, the bus shows a stop at Upper Stanley street which is outside the hotel. Just wondering if someone can confirm this, it would be great help !

Reply to: Best time and resorts to ski
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Queenstown
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.