We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late April/Early May

Level Contributor
89 posts
3 reviews
Late April/Early May

Hey locals,

Do you know when autumn leaves are forecast to peak this year? I see 25th May on websites but the info is not for current.

Ideally, I’m hoping to spend 3 days in Queenstown at peak autumn (red leaves) and snow capped mountains and just trying to time it right. It’s my fav time of the yr in my fav city.

Maybe 2nd week of May? Just looking for a relaxing weekend doing walks and hikes.

It’s magnificent when the leaves fall.

8 replies to this topic
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island, Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand, Tonga
Level Contributor
24,593 posts
745 reviews
511 helpful votes
1. Re: Late April/Early May

the autumn festival is 25-28 april and thats when autumn leaves are at peak, they drop after this pretty quick. Mid may would be too late. they are looking absolutely stunning right now and seem to be earlier than usual due to the earlier cold storms

Edited: 04 April 2024, 11:52
New Zealand
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,593 posts
745 reviews
511 helpful votes
2. Re: Late April/Early May

arrowtown is best place in april for autumn leaves

Arrowtown, New...
Level Contributor
8,254 posts
68 reviews
65 helpful votes
3. Re: Late April/Early May

Yes - they're pretty full on right now - last weeks cold snap seemed to have sped things up...

As above Autumn Fest in Atown in 25-28 April... ... which is generally the peak time.

Mid-May def too late...

As to snow AND leaves... unlikely to get both, we've had a few light mountaintop snowfalls already, but these are melted away within a few days...

Local saying is 'snow in May never stays; snow in June, gone too soon'

New Zealand
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,593 posts
745 reviews
511 helpful votes
4. Re: Late April/Early May

#3 we added to that saying this year - snow in March when its parched and snow in April is fateful.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,510 posts
20 reviews
7 helpful votes
5. Re: Late April/Early May

I wouldn't wait until May. In Wānaka, colours are looking like they're heading towards the peak now.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,593 posts
745 reviews
511 helpful votes
6. Re: Late April/Early May

#5 agreed. everyone we have talked to said they are at peak now, and wet windy weather forecast for next week. With that in mind, we changed our trip around and are heading to arrowtown tomorrow, instead of a week later, to enjoy the fall colours

New Zealand
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,593 posts
745 reviews
511 helpful votes
7. Re: Late April/Early May

im in arrowtown now. its stunning. We were also in arrowtown early april last year and we noticed some of the autumn trees have already lost leaves, which were in full colour this time last year. So the autumn colours in Arrowtown are earlier this year. Heavy rain and wind is forecast later next week so it will speed up the leaf fall.

But there are always a few trees which change colour more slowly so its likely you will find some autumn colour still.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,593 posts
745 reviews
511 helpful votes
8. Re: Late April/Early May

OP i have just changed my cover photo to the arrowtown autumn colours. photo taken yesterday.

Reply to: Late April/Early May
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Queenstown
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.