We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 nights in Queentown

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
472 posts
105 reviews
111 helpful votes
5 nights in Queentown
Save

Hi,

I'm leaving next week from the UK, stopping in Sydney first then flying to Christchurch to Queenstown via Mount Cook.

I have 5 days in Queenstown and currently I have booked, Milford Sounds by plane with cruise, Lake Wakatipu, Skyline package with dinner, catapult and swing, and I still have one day to do something. Can you please suggest anything else? (not into history, but like outdoor walks / scenic things). This is my first time in NZ. Is Lake Wanaka worth including?

Cheers

15 replies to this topic
California
Destination Expert
for New Zealand
Level Contributor
18,621 posts
71 reviews
33 helpful votes
1. Re: 5 nights in Queentown
Save

Maybe one of the jetboats? Shotover is a short thrill ride, Dart River a longer, less of a thrill ride, gorgeous scenery. Rent bikes in Arrowtown and ride one of the many trails. Hike up Queenstown Hill to the Basket of Dreams. Do the TSS Earnslaw cruise and visit the sheep farm.

Nelson-Tasman...
Destination Expert
for South Island, Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand, Tonga
Level Contributor
24,217 posts
739 reviews
509 helpful votes
2. Re: 5 nights in Queentown
Save

there are so many things you can do - wanaka is worth visiting, so is doing the queenstown hill walk, or hire a bike and do the frankton trail. Maybe walk from bobs cove, glenorchy, Wineries. What is the rest of your itinerary?

do you like mountain biking? the lake dunstan trail from cromwell heritage area to hugo bridge and back is just stunning.

with your trip to milford sound i think the ultimate trip is coach in, cruise and then fly out. the coach trip in is a highlight for me. the stunning valleys, mirror lakes, homer tunnel and then WOW vista plus plus plus.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Christchurch, South Island, Akaroa
Level Contributor
51,255 posts
577 reviews
231 helpful votes
3. Re: 5 nights in Queentown
Save

How are you visiting Aoraki Mt Cook? Is it one of the day trips you are doing from QTN? It is a very long day .

Where are you going after Queenstown?

Are you interested in wineries?

Nelson-Tasman...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,217 posts
739 reviews
509 helpful votes
4. Re: 5 nights in Queentown
Save

“ I'm leaving next week from the UK, stopping in Sydney first then flying to Christchurch to Queenstown via Mount Cook”

Are you driving christchurch to queenstown via mount cook? How many nights do you have at mt cook national park village? There are no domestic flights that land at mt cook national park (sadly, they use to and i flew mt cook airlines a number of times, but its no longer a domestic route. the nearest would be timaru).

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
472 posts
105 reviews
111 helpful votes
5. Re: 5 nights in Queentown
Save

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for the replies.

I land in Christchurch and I have two nights there. I’m then taking a coach tour down to Queenstown via Mt Cook, I know it’s a long day - and I won’t get much time to see it.

The itinerary is: Sydney 5 nights, Christchurch 2 nights, 5 nights Queenstown, 4 nights Melbourne and 3 nights Gold Coast before returning back to the UK.

I will relook at the Milford sounds tour I’ve booked and possible change it to fly out, and coach in.

I’ll have a look at the suggestions made, but what is currently standing out: jet boats, Lake Wanaka or possibly renting a bike.

Wineries is not really my thing.

Thank you all for your input.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
139 posts
5 reviews
1 helpful vote
6. Re: 5 nights in Queentown
Save

Just returned from our trip and highly recommend the coach in/fly back option for Milford Sound. I met someone who had booked flying both ways and the whole trip was cancelled due to weather conditions. Unfortunately, he didn't have the time to rebook and therefore missed Milford Sound.

We also spent 5 nights in Queenstown. Great base for seeing Arrow town, Glenorchy, steamboat and sheep farm demo, gondola to the restaurant overlooking Queenstown, and more!

Nelson-Tasman...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,217 posts
739 reviews
509 helpful votes
7. Re: 5 nights in Queentown
Save

#5 personally, i would change the trip from christchurch to queenstown and would overnight at mt cook national park village (accommodation availability dependent). try cheeky kiwi, or last month i noticed mt cook connections vehicles on the road as well.

Yes #6 the ultimate is coach, cruise, fly to Milford sound. And for those who have time to do an overnight on doubtful sound.

Edited: 22 February 2024, 10:01
Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
472 posts
105 reviews
111 helpful votes
8. Re: 5 nights in Queentown
Save

Thanks again - I've emailed to change it to coach - cruise fly.

I can't stay in Mt Cook unfortunately due to the other things I have booked in Queenstown.

Cheers

Nelson-Tasman...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,217 posts
739 reviews
509 helpful votes
9. Re: 5 nights in Queentown
Save

#8 does your coach trip even go to mt cook national park then? its a very long drive from christchurch to queenstown and therefore most of the bus services do not take the 100km detour to mt cook national park.

Its an 8 hour coach trip without a detour to mt cook national park.

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
472 posts
105 reviews
111 helpful votes
10. Re: 5 nights in Queentown
Save

https://www.greatsights.co.nz/new-zealand-tour-destinations/mount-cook-and-queenstown/christchurch-to-mount-cook-and-queenstown

That is the itinerary above^^^

I've changed my booking for Milford Sounds as suggested above and booked jet boating on the Dart River.

One last thing, any personal favourites for a steak restaurant, it's my birthday whilst in Queenstown....ones with a nice view?

Reply to: 5 nights in Queentown
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Queenstown
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.