We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pregnant in Queenstown

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Pregnant in Queenstown
Save

Hi all, I would greatly appreciate your tips on activities that I can do in Queenstown when I'll be in my 2nd trimester of pregnancy. I am travelling with my 4yo and husband and won't be able to safely join them for stuff like luge and jetboating, I imagine. Would appreciate any other ideas however!

6 replies to this topic
Arrowtown, New...
Level Contributor
8,109 posts
68 reviews
65 helpful votes
1. Re: Pregnant in Queenstown
Save

You can still go up the gondola and watch them luging (there are a few lovely spots alongside the luge route - with seating and great views).

The Earnslaw cruise and lunch will be great for the whole fam (took my 3½yr old niece at xmas - she LOVED it).

Lots of light and walks - Queenstown Gardens, Lake Hayes, Frankton Trail, Arrow River trails.

Perhaps a spa treatment/ massage

Onsen hot pools

Or a general feet up and relax - some quiet time well deserved while your hubby and 4yr old are off being active together.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central, New Zealand, North Island, Cook Islands
Level Contributor
28,656 posts
140 reviews
82 helpful votes
2. Re: Pregnant in Queenstown
Save

Kia Ora Jibrill11,

I don't recommend the Onsen hot pools for any pregnant women. I checked the Onsen website and they wisely give the same advice.

Arrowtown, New...
Level Contributor
8,109 posts
68 reviews
65 helpful votes
3. Re: Pregnant in Queenstown
Save

Good point Frangipani...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
4. Re: Pregnant in Queenstown
Save

Thanks so much - yeah, I think the hot pools are out for me sadly, but it's great to receive the other recommendations! I did the Routeburn Track last time I came (was 5 weeks pregnant then) so I'm definitely open to walks (maybe lighter ones than RT as I'll be 4 months in)!

Edited: 18 February 2024, 13:22
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central, New Zealand, North Island, Cook Islands
Level Contributor
28,656 posts
140 reviews
82 helpful votes
5. Re: Pregnant in Queenstown
Save

Walking short distances is your friend in pregnancy. When I was 7.5 months pregnant my husband and I undertook the Earnslaw cruise on Lake Whakatipu; the day trip to Arrowtown; walked the Queenstown Gardens, rode the Gondola; and did another passive boat trip on Queenstown. I even met up with another nurse on the Earnslaw who was from our home base in Whangarei.

Hubby was content with undertaking more active outdoor stuff, while I rested up as much as possible in our lake-view apartment.

Nelson-Tasman...
Destination Expert
for South Island, Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand, Tonga
Level Contributor
24,214 posts
739 reviews
509 helpful votes
6. Re: Pregnant in Queenstown
Save

can still do lots of things - gondola, earnslaw, walking botanical gardens, walking trails, you can enjoy trips to glenorchy or arrowtown and browse the stores. the kiwi park queenstown is great for all ages and appropriate.

Reply to: Pregnant in Queenstown
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Queenstown
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.