We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queenstown 2 Nights April Best Area To Stay & Activities

Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Queenstown 2 Nights April Best Area To Stay & Activities
Save

Greetings,

Married couple are ending out New Zealand adventure in Queenstown for couple nights Late April.

We will have a car throughout our trip and returning it ZQN airport when we fly out. There are so many choices of places to stay in Queenstown, not sure what would be most convenient for 2 nights. Or if it is better to stay outside Queenstown and drive in.

So, I assume the "Queenstown Gardens" area of town is Central Business District?

1) Is this are where most Queenstown tourist attractions, restaurants, tours meeting points, essentially where most tourist stay?

2) Is this area "downtown congested" with limited parking

3) If stayed in this area is everything walkable? So, I can ditch the car early?

There is Frankton by ZQN airport, looks nice area right on Lake Ave nice walking area.

Is this area good or simply too far away from action? IS there any specific area anywhere between the Airport and Gardens that is nice area to stay? Or does it matter at all?

Again, we will have done the entire south Island already(2 weeks) So just want to do few convenient Queenstown tourist activities (NOT bungie jumping, But possibly Jet boat and are open to any suggestions/ recommendations to do in Queenstown)

Any Wisdom of where would be a convenient area of town and any NOT TO BE MISSED restaurants nightlife and activities would be most appreciated.

9 replies to this topic
Nelson-Tasman...
Destination Expert
for South Island, Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand, Tonga
Level Contributor
24,214 posts
739 reviews
509 helpful votes
1. Re: Queenstown 2 Nights April Best Area To Stay & Activities
Save

i suggest staying in the cbd - central area of queenstown is the best and ditching your rental car. Central queenstown is very walkable. restaurants, cafes, lake, botanic gardens, gondola, luge, tours etc are all around the central area.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
337 posts
383 reviews
227 helpful votes
2. Re: Queenstown 2 Nights April Best Area To Stay & Activities
Save

I agree with #1. Stay in central Queenstown. It's not very big and does get very congested with traffic. Better to walk to restaurants than drive in from Frankton

Arrowtown, New...
Level Contributor
8,109 posts
68 reviews
65 helpful votes
3. Re: Queenstown 2 Nights April Best Area To Stay & Activities
Save

** do be aware that we have a shopping 'mall'/ area called Queenstown Central - but it's out in Frankton near the airport! (Don't know which silly councillors allowed that naming to slip through!). Though, currently, the Sudima 'Five Mile' is the only hotel in the Five Mile/ Queenstown Central shopping area.

I tend to refer to the 'main' lakefront 'tourist' area as Downtown Queenstown to avoid confusion. (I've notice alot of tourists don't understand CBD - and also - these days, alot of businesses are moving out to Frankton area!).

What activities are you planning while staying in Queenstown area?

For the next good chunk of time there are lots of major infrastructure works happening all over the downtown area (ultimately a big bypass going around/ through town), and the council is heavily reducing the number of carparks. This means increased traffic, noise, and difficulty securing carparks.

Absolutely - you can stay in one of several great hotels= accom convenient to downtown - and you wouldn't need a vehicle.

Many attractions are right there (Gondola, KJet, TSS Earnslaw) or have courtesy pickups (Milford Sound tours, Shotover Jet, Onsen Hot Pools). And you can easily catch the public bus to Arrowtown.

Alternatively- if you want to keep the car for freedom and exploring further afield/ other places - then further out from downtown is also totally ok. There are great hotels along Frankton Road, such as Rees and Sherwood, that have parking, and easy access to the bus/ taxi/ even walk to/ from downtown.

Only 20mins away is Arrowtown. Mostly motels and short term accom (AirBnB etc) - most easy walk (or drive) to the main street of Arrowtown, which has more than it's fair share of great dining options (ok, I'm totally biased - but) - with ample parking (cept maybe during Arrowtown Autumn Festival!). Millbrook Resort is also nearby - full 5star place - with parking, and a shuttle that takes you to Arrowtown or Queenstown or Airport...

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
693 posts
12 reviews
11 helpful votes
4. Re: Queenstown 2 Nights April Best Area To Stay & Activities
Save

"Again, we will have done the entire south Island already(2 weeks)"

I've done at least four months over many multiple trips to the South Island and still haven't even been to/seen all the places I want to see - in two weeks, you haven't even scratched the surface.

Nelson-Tasman...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,214 posts
739 reviews
509 helpful votes
5. Re: Queenstown 2 Nights April Best Area To Stay & Activities
Save

#4. clevedon - totally agree. we travel the south island for about half the year. we still find new places to go, things to see and do and off the beaten path. its taken us 8 years and we still exploring. We can stay in one place for two weeks and still not see and do and experience everything.

our latest three week trip was an “off the beaten path” trip on purpose. so in small town east coast (places taht are off the usual - ward, gore bay, waimate, kaiapoi, woodend).

op - have you been to abel tasman national park, nelson lakes national park, golden bay, marlborough, punakaiki, glaciers, catlins, stewart island, doubtful and milford sound, mt cook national park, oamaru? these would be amongst the top places i would recommend on the south island.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
337 posts
383 reviews
227 helpful votes
6. Re: Queenstown 2 Nights April Best Area To Stay & Activities
Save

I lived in the South Island for 25 years and posters on this forum mention places that I have never been to or even heard of

Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
7. Re: Queenstown 2 Nights April Best Area To Stay & Activities
Save

Greetings,

Thanks for eveyones Input. Just for prospective... We are simply tourists visiting your beautiful Islands with limited amount of time and funds to spend. . "me saying " Again, we will have done the entire south Island already (2 weeks)" is spoken from ” a tourist” perspective. Simply the highlights we intend to do. In no way meant to infer that "I seen all that the south Island has to offer"

. My reference questions were “area to stay” in Queenstown I did not want all your expertise and advise to be spent on trying to get me stay further out in bush or way outside of Queenstown.

My apologies if my comment of travel on South Island was misinterpreted.

Again, thanks to all for your help and advice

Nelson-Tasman...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,214 posts
739 reviews
509 helpful votes
8. Re: Queenstown 2 Nights April Best Area To Stay & Activities
Save

#7 two weeks isnt a tourist perspective of all the south island has to offer.

as i said in #5 have you been to abel tasman national park, nelson lakes national park, golden bay, marlborough, punakaiki, glaciers, catlins, stewart island, doubtful and milford sound, mt cook national park, oamaru? these would be amongst the top places i would recommend on the south island. What about walked on a glacier, climbed a mountain, swam in a lake? Swam with dolphins?

If you just want to visit Queenstown then the downtown area is recommended, but please dont think you have seen all the south island has to offer in two weeks.

Edited: 19 February 2024, 13:14
Arrowtown, New...
Level Contributor
8,109 posts
68 reviews
65 helpful votes
9. Re: Queenstown 2 Nights April Best Area To Stay & Activities
Save

Mike - apologies on behalf - unfortunately your wording, and our absolute passion for NZ means we've gone off track from your actual enquiry! ... Many international visitors heavily underestimate the time is actually takes travelling around NZ, and underestimate the wide variety of pretty special places that we have hidden away :-) ... be warned - you'll want to come back!

2weeks is a standard amount that many visitors have, and with that one can only do justice to a few keys highlights.

Assumably you have about 3 nights in Queenstown- which is fine for a taster. As I said originally - downtown is fine, Frankton Rd is fine, I'm always going to be biased to Arrowtown :-)

Please do come back to TA when you've visited, and let us know what you chose, and how you found it. Helps us to help inform other travellers - and see things from different perspectives.

Thanks and happy travels.

Reply to: Queenstown 2 Nights April Best Area To Stay & Activities
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Queenstown
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.