We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glenorchy

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
170 posts
19 reviews
16 helpful votes
Glenorchy
Save

Hi Tripadvisor Queenstown! I have kind of a strange question. Me, my husband, our adult son, and a friend are visiting Queenstown in a couple weeks and we are planning to go zip lining with Paradise ziplines in Glenorchy. Sadly, my husband has hurt his knee and can't do the ziplines, nor can he do any hikes. We've heard the drive from Queenstown to Glenorchy is stunning, and my husband doesn't want to miss that, but we have no idea what he could do in the area while waiting the 3.5 hours that the rest of us are zip lining. Any suggestions? Or should he just hang back and relax at our lodging? Thanks for humoring me with this odd question.

14 replies to this topic
Arrowtown, New...
Level Contributor
8,109 posts
68 reviews
65 helpful votes
1. Re: Glenorchy
Save

Maybe call Paradise Ziplines and see what suggestions they may have? - there may be an earlier transport he could come back on?

Is he very immobile - or is he able to stroll flat/ shorter distances (about how far would he cope with?).

He could hobble across to the pier. There's a flat, mostly boardwalk lagoon walk loop that might be doable?

Or he could slowly make his way around a few of the cafes :-)

I'd be quite happy to get a flat white, and sit lakeside (infact, by the old pier would be great) and people watch/ read a good book...

Nelson-Tasman...
Destination Expert
for South Island, Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand, Tonga
Level Contributor
24,214 posts
739 reviews
509 helpful votes
2. Re: Glenorchy
Save

glenorchy can have sandflies so it could be a harassed 3.5 hour wait. perhaps he could do a separate trip up and back to glenorchy, rather than having to wait around?

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
170 posts
19 reviews
16 helpful votes
3. Re: Glenorchy
Save

Thank you Pineapplesensei and nzpOppy - appreciate the advice! I think he could be quite happy enjoying a lake view while having a coffee, but we'll have to see how the sandflies are I guess. He really can't walk very far without being in a fair amount of pain, but could probably walk out on the pier. It might be possible for us to make the drive again the next day. Again, really appreciate the info!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
17,498 posts
214 reviews
106 helpful votes
4. Re: Glenorchy
Save

If it was me the choice between reading a book over a flat white and cheese roll at Glenorcy or spending time in a hotel room any where would be a no Brainerd. I'd probably have another coffee with a custard square this time alternating with the book and pondering the meaning of life.

If you can't do much, Glenorcy is the place to do it.

Nelson-Tasman...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,214 posts
739 reviews
509 helpful votes
5. Re: Glenorchy
Save

could he do a jet boat tour from glenorchy instead?

California
Destination Expert
for New Zealand
Level Contributor
18,618 posts
71 reviews
33 helpful votes
6. Re: Glenorchy
Save

Before booking the Dart River jetboat, I would ask them if it still includes the 30-minute walk. It used to, but I don't see it in their tour description. Perhaps they are boarding the boats at a different location, or extended the road.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
17,498 posts
214 reviews
106 helpful votes
7. Re: Glenorchy
Save

Last year that Aussie tv programme "Travel guides" had an episode based on Glenorcy. They flew their guides by chopper to a set of waterfalls. It looked absolutely stunning. They were all blown away.

However it wasnt cheap.

Nelson-Tasman...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,214 posts
739 reviews
509 helpful votes
8. Re: Glenorchy
Save

#7 nzmike i would say the trip you mentioned with the waterfalls were earnslaw burn - absolutely incredible. one of my favs in NZ. being in the valley is like being at the bottom of a caudron with hundreds of waterfalls falling down sheer cliffs and glaciers around you. it does depend on the weather how many waterfalls are flowing - we timed our trip an hour after rain. but there are always permanent falls.

Its a stunning trip and one i recommend to tourists wanting something special. Heliworks is the company we flew with.

Edited: 13 February 2024, 19:36
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
17,498 posts
214 reviews
106 helpful votes
9. Re: Glenorchy
Save

That's the one.

One of the "guides" was so moved they went to prayer.

Nelson-Tasman...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,214 posts
739 reviews
509 helpful votes
10. Re: Glenorchy
Save

#9 i remember throwing my arms out and just spinning around. i have a big canvas photo i took at earnslaw burn on our lounge wall - its a stunning place. i preferred the heli and landing in earnslaw burn, than heli at milford sound.

Reply to: Glenorchy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Queenstown
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.