We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queenstown Car Hire

Mallee
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
4 helpful votes
Queenstown Car Hire
Save

There is a Queenstown Airport web site that offers rental car comparison and booking direct from the site. It includes Thrifty, Dollar etc Anyone booked from this site? Is it safe?

http://www.queenstownairport.co.nz

8 replies to this topic
Arrowtown, New...
Level Contributor
8,110 posts
68 reviews
65 helpful votes
1. Re: Queenstown Car Hire
Save

Well, that it is the official Queenstown Airport website - so it'll be safe. But as always - better to ise it as a guide then book directly with the rental companies

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New Zealand, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,801 posts
440 reviews
245 helpful votes
2. Re: Queenstown Car Hire
Save

check prices then book direct because if anything goes wrong you are dealing directly with the supplier.

We found APEX very Good.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
827 posts
184 reviews
143 helpful votes
3. Re: Queenstown Car Hire
Save

Can anyone explain the huge discrepancies between car hire for different websites?

We're looking to hire a car from Queenstown (11th Mar) and drop-off Auckland airport (1st April).

Queenstown airport website start from £1,000.

Kayak.com website gives prices from £600 for an intermediate SUV (Toyota RAV4 or similar)

(They quote DiscoverCars.com)

I've never seen such a big difference between websites as this.

Kayak includes - Free cancellation (48h)

Fair fuel policy

Unlimited mileage

Collision damage waiver

Liability coverage

Theft coverage

Edited: 15 February 2024, 03:38
California
Destination Expert
for New Zealand
Level Contributor
18,621 posts
71 reviews
33 helpful votes
4. Re: Queenstown Car Hire
Save

Both are consolidators and don't own or rent cars. They are a middleman for those that do. You can certainly do comparison shopping, but book directly with the car company.

I've sometimes been tripped up because I didn't check which currency was being quoted.

Arrowtown, New...
Level Contributor
8,110 posts
68 reviews
65 helpful votes
5. Re: Queenstown Car Hire
Save

David #3 As above - kayak and Queenstown Airport are third party.

Booking direct for your dates - I found that Omega has the best rate (around NZ60 per day).

Kayak showed Budget rental about the same (this very much surprised me) - and going direct to the Budget website it had vehicles for about the same NZD60 per day. HOWEVER, I noticed that these were also ELECTRIC vehicles (which would mean additional planning to ensure that you were able to access electric charging stations).

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
17,498 posts
214 reviews
106 helpful votes
6. Re: Queenstown Car Hire
Save

The currency here is $nz not £.

It's best to deal direct with the car company.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka, Tokyo
Level Contributor
80,605 posts
183 reviews
192 helpful votes
7. Re: Queenstown Car Hire
Save

If your dates match, look into Ezi. I booked a car for 20% off recently and they are now running a 25% off sale.

I promptly cancelled and rebooked with the cheaper rate. The sale ends of Feb 18.

Ezi provides pretty new cars. On their site, you mostly see 2022 or later models. I have rented from them multiple times in the past.

https://www.ezicarrental.co.nz/offers/summer-sale/

Edited: 16 February 2024, 20:45
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
827 posts
184 reviews
143 helpful votes
8. Re: Queenstown Car Hire
Save

Thanks for the tip. I looked into Ezi, but they are completely sold out for my dates. I've now booked APEX, based on the plethora of positive reviews here.

APEX asked me to book my South-North ferry crossing at the time I booked (included in the price) but say I can change it later. Not sure how that works?

Reply to: Queenstown Car Hire
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Queenstown
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.