We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency / ATMs

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
88 posts
30 reviews
28 helpful votes
Currency / ATMs
Save

My husband and I will be traveling to Queenstown from the states in a couple weeks and are trying to figure out how much NZD to bring ahead of time. It looks like Bank of America has partner locations in NZ through Westpac Bank and yet I don’t see any in Queenstown. Any suggestions from other US travelers? We’ll be there for one week and don’t want to carry a lot of cash around with us so we’re hoping to bring just a small amount and then get more as needed through BofA international partners so avoid all the fees.

12 replies to this topic
New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,064 posts
6 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Currency / ATMs
Save

There is a Westpac ATM at 27 Shotover street also at the airport. You will find Westpac ATMs in most towns in NZ.

You do not need much cash in NZ, cards are accepted everywhere. I only use cash at the Farmers market and not really necessary there.

Edited: 06 February 2024, 06:24
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
17,498 posts
214 reviews
106 helpful votes
2. Re: Currency / ATMs
Save

In the cities you might have to go a few hundred meters to find a Westpac ATM. I think it's 2nd biggest bank in NZ.

But you need very little cash. Tipping is NOT part of our culture and most places take cards. We are close to cashless. Placesclike petrol stations preferred cards. It reduces cash handling and reduces chances of robbery.. I had a regular taxi driver who only took cards.

I would be luck to withdraw $50 a month.

Edited: 06 February 2024, 07:44
Arrowtown, New...
Level Contributor
8,109 posts
68 reviews
65 helpful votes
3. Re: Currency / ATMs
Save

https://www.westpac.co.nz/contact-us/branch-finder/filter?address=Queenstown&type=branch

In downtown Queenstown the Westpac (bright red) is opposite and up the street from Fergburger.

Mike - I have just $20 'emergency' cash - which occasionally get used for lotto tickets!! Covid era has definitely changed my use of cards vs cash!

Nelson-Tasman...
Destination Expert
for South Island, Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand, Tonga
Level Contributor
24,214 posts
739 reviews
509 helpful votes
4. Re: Currency / ATMs
Save

Cash is only usually required for things like roadstall fruit and vege stalls. the only place we found cash is king is in the far north of nz where we were told to pay cash only for tours, attractions - which then questions whether this is actually being declared to the tax dept and makes you wonder about why they want cash and the security concerns of holding cash.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New Zealand, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,791 posts
440 reviews
245 helpful votes
5. Re: Currency / ATMs
Save

$100:00 cash will see you through the week. What we did was use all the cash we had for souvenirs before we left NZ and if we needed more just put the rest on the credit card.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
88 posts
30 reviews
28 helpful votes
6. Re: Currency / ATMs
Save

Thanks, everyone! Very helpful!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
17,498 posts
214 reviews
106 helpful votes
7. Re: Currency / ATMs
Save

Twice over the last 2 day I have been in a cafe where folk have been caught out by a "non cash" policy. One was only after 3pm

However the biggest pain will be paying for parking in cities.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
310 posts
128 reviews
107 helpful votes
8. Re: Currency / ATMs
Save

We are leaving today after 6 days in Queenstown and have not changed a single cent! All cards. One thing to be aware of: only take a Queenstown taxi (which are hard to find at night). Otherwise, only Uber. We are seasoned travellers and were ripped off twice by rogue taxi drivers…they must rig the meter somehow. Trips from town to our hotel cost $35 NZ, but by Uber was $15NZ. Don’t understand why the local authorities don’t crack down on this scam, which seems to be well known around town.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,026 posts
66 reviews
38 helpful votes
9. Re: Currency / ATMs
Save

Is it a scam because a taxi cost more than a Uber, or do you actually have a legitimate basis for this statement?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
337 posts
383 reviews
227 helpful votes
10. Re: Currency / ATMs
Save

How do you mean they rig the meter? Did you agree to a price for the trip?

I paid $30 for a 5 minute ride in a shared taxi and Rarotonga and don't consider that getting ripped off, its just the price you have to pay.

Reply to: Currency / ATMs
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Queenstown
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.