We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only 2 days after Milford Sound

Royersford...
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
236 reviews
158 helpful votes
Only 2 days after Milford Sound

Hi Friends,

Our itinerary after leaving CC, Wanaka and Te Anau (Milford Sound tour next day) gives us only 2 full days (3 nights) in Queenstown before leaving for Australia. (We will be here mid-February of this year) We will have a car. We're staying at the Hilton (slightly outside of town I believe?)

Our main interests are the sights. We can only see so much. We also do love wine - but we're doing a few wine tour in Nelson and Blenheim, so may not be worth spending our precious days doing that in Queenstown - but open to suggestions. Also - looking for restaurant suggestions (we know about Furgberger - but I don't eat meat (I do eat fish)

You've given us many ideas in a previous thread -but I'm torn. I think gondola and luge sound great (we're 65 and fit - in the luge appropriate for us? Fun is great - but spending time on views matters more)

Arrowtown is suggested time and time again - we do like to bike but only so far. We're in good shape, but I have a foot problem so 3 miles is about max without pain sadly.

Skipper Canyon Tour was suggested - I don't like to get wet so no rafting for us.

This was suggested: • drive over the Crown Range, Queenstown Hill hike or around Queenstown Gardens, maybe even Moke Lake

Knowing we want to see the beauty of Queenstown and care less about thrills, what do you suggest?

Thank you so much.

Cheers!

Ellen

25 replies to this topic
Royersford...
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
236 reviews
158 helpful votes
1. Re: Only 2 days after Milford Sound

I should add - this looks gorgeous but I don't like to get wet. https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductReview-g1025721-d12078333-Dart_River_Funyak_Canoe_plus_Jet_Boat_Tour_from_Queenstown-Glenorchy_Otago_Region.html

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
66 reviews
38 helpful votes
2. Re: Only 2 days after Milford Sound

The Gondola does allow for fantastic views if it is a clear day, so that might put it up the pecking order a bit. As for whether the luge is for you, it's not so much an age thing but how you feel like barreling down a mountain (on a track) on a flimsy object. It's not for me, but it wouldn't have been for me as a teenager as well. I think you could save some time by driving to Arrowtown, since you have a car, and figure on having a wander and a meal.

California
Destination Expert
for New Zealand
Level Contributor
18,751 posts
71 reviews
33 helpful votes
3. Re: Only 2 days after Milford Sound

You can always rent e-bikes in Arrowtown.

Or drive to Glenarchy. The views along the lake are fantastic. An easy walk is Bob's Cove, not far from Queenstown. Then walk the lagoon boardwalks in Glenorchy.

I think the idea is not to get wet on the Funyaks, but if you think it's too much of a risk, then that's certainly your call. You can do the Dart River jetboat, it's a more gentle and scenic journey along the Dart River. They do a 360 spin or two, but not near cliff walls. It's a very open braided river.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island, Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand, Tonga
Level Contributor
24,605 posts
745 reviews
511 helpful votes
4. Re: Only 2 days after Milford Sound

hire e bikes in arrowtown. And do the gondola and luge. for me - Life is nothing without some fun and big smiles and sheer enjoyment. The gondola ride up is great and the luge is letting your hair down at your own pace with amazing views.. But try to avoid school holidays or weekends when its busy.

Royersford...
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
236 reviews
158 helpful votes
5. Re: Only 2 days after Milford Sound

Do we have time for all of your ideas? Gondola (with or without luge)

Drive to Arrowhead rent bikes (how does one know where to go?)

Glenarchy drive

Dart River Jet boat

If I can't do everything, what would you choose?

Seems I can drive to Glenarchy and do the dart river jet boat - maybe those two in one day?

THANKS AGAIN!

Ellen

Edited: 18 January 2024, 10:58
Royersford...
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
236 reviews
158 helpful votes
6. Re: Only 2 days after Milford Sound

Oh - we're staying in Wanaka for 2 nights (before Te Anau) so maybe we should do one of these activities from Wanaka?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island, Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand, Tonga
Level Contributor
24,605 posts
745 reviews
511 helpful votes
7. Re: Only 2 days after Milford Sound

there is plenty to do in Wanaka without backtracking to do activities in Queenstown.

California
Destination Expert
for New Zealand
Level Contributor
18,751 posts
71 reviews
33 helpful votes
8. Re: Only 2 days after Milford Sound

The place that rents you the bikes would be able to help you select a trail and will probably give you a trail map. Here's an online source: https://queenstowntrails.org.nz The place we rented bikes from no longer exists, but I hear Better by Bike is a good place to rent from. Another web source said "Trail maps are available at the Museum in Buckingham Street".

Yes, the combo of Glenorchy and the Dart River jet boat for a day is a good one.

Remember that not only do you have 2 full days, you probably have a couple of hours to half a day on the day you arrive and the day you depart.

Royersford...
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
236 reviews
158 helpful votes
9. Re: Only 2 days after Milford Sound

The day we arrive - nighttime. We are doing Milford Sound from Te Anau and driving to our hotel. Our flight leaves at 3:20 to Sydney. So we have 2 full days.

Noted - do Wanaka when in Wanaka!

Thank you for the online link and bike ideas.

Husband loves the idea of gondola and luge. I figure we will wait until a few days prior to book for the best weather report. He was a bit unsure about Dart jet boat - he read that it's a bit wild and worries I won't like it - but I think I will. It looks gorgeous. I can bring a warm sweater in case I'm cold (not too likely in February but I know the weather is you never know - we're bringing layers).

Our trip is 6 weeks total (NZ and Australia) and I wish we had more time in NZ. But it's al booked so we will enjoy every minute!

THANK YOU

Cheers,

Ellen

Royersford...
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
236 reviews
158 helpful votes
10. Re: Only 2 days after Milford Sound

So - dart river - there are so many operators - is there one that's best?

Reply to: Only 2 days after Milford Sound
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Queenstown
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.