We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking Campervan in Queenstown

Germany
1 post
Parking Campervan in Queenstown

Hey guys,

does anybody make some experiences with the parking situation in Queenstwon or does anybody know a parking place for a campervans, where you can stay 3-4 days without paying a very high fee?

I will go the Routeburn track and take a bus transport from Queenstown to the Divine and from the Routeburn Shelter back to Queenstown. So I'm looking for a cheap place to stay with my campervan.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions.

Cheers,

Juliane

Edited: 02 August 2018, 22:29
4 replies to this topic
Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,839 posts
78 reviews
1. Re: Parking Campervan in Queenstown

You can park out of the centre for nothing - for example along the lake shore (Lake Esplanade - towards Glenorchy). There are lots of people walking back and forth and lots of vehicles parked there, so will be pretty safe. The main problem will be in finding a spot, but if you park early morning, you should be close to town. I stay at the YHA out that way and generally find a park, although I might have to take a few passes up and down the road. Main Street - despite its name - also has long term free parking and is close to town, but doesn't have the same amount of traffic as along the lake front.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
2. Re: Parking Campervan in Queenstown

Why not put it in a proper carpark, it's not that expensive, it's only around $10 a day https://airportparkingqueenstown.co.nz/rates/

Much cheaper than a parking ticket because you've parked where you shouldn't have. Or how about returning your vehicle back to the company if this works? It'll save you even more money.

new zealand
Level Contributor
51 posts
100 reviews
3. Re: Parking Campervan in Queenstown

You can try along the lakefront by the YHA , this would be your best bet. Everything in town is limited and you have to pay. The lakeshore towards Glenorchy now has orange poles to deter parking (not working so far).

Dont leave any valuables of any sort in your camper. There is a company that does vehicle relocations https:/…

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
4. Re: Parking Campervan in Queenstown

Good luck getting a park for a campervan in Lake Esplanade unless you're there at the crack of dawn!

Plus I personally think it's a bit unfair for people (and some local operators) to leave vehicles there for days on end and people who just want to park for 30 minutes can't find a park anywhere near the town centre.

Reply to: Parking Campervan in Queenstown
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Queenstown