We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milford sound

East Yorks
Level Contributor
92 posts
44 reviews
Milford sound

Just planning our trip to New Zealand late February and March. Would like advice on best tour companies for coach and boat trip on Milford sound. Also would we be better to go from Queensland or Te Anau?

Thanks Jude

14 replies to this topic
Preston, United...
Level Contributor
5,417 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Milford sound

Ooh, predictive text strikes Jude - I’m sure you meant Queenstown.

If you have the time it’s better to go from Te Anau as the coach from Queenstown takes 13 hours all in, so a long day. But to do from Te Anau needs two nights there. What is the rest of your itinerary like?

It’s perfectly possible to drive to MS from Te Anau in the Summer, if you have a car. Cheaper and more flexible.

Te Anau, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
49 reviews
2. Re: Milford sound

As above; if you have time, go from TeAnau: otherwise take a full day coach tour from Queenstown. Don't even consider driving yourself from Queenstown.

There are a bewildering number of operators offering coach tours from Queenstown. I've never seen adverse comments on any of them on this forum, so I assume they all do a satisfactory job. Generally the higher the price the better the offering, and they all travel the same route and see the same things. Probably no really bad choices.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
6,525 posts
289 reviews
3. Re: Milford sound

What does the rest of your itinerary look like can you afford 2 nights in Te Anau. If so that would be best.

As others have mentioned the smaller the boat the less people but still the same space per person and all boats go to the same waterfalls and locations in the cruise.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
9,336 posts
478 reviews
4. Re: Milford sound

i think for effedtive use of time the day coach from queenstown is very best. you dont have to pack, unpack, change accommodation. you can sleep on the coach on the way back. its time effective and less hassles.

East Yorks
Level Contributor
92 posts
44 reviews
5. Re: Milford sound

Thank you, we are short of days and that idea would save lots of time. If we didn't travel to Te Anau at all would we be missing out a lot?

Regards Jude

East Yorks
Level Contributor
92 posts
44 reviews
6. Re: Milford sound

Thanks for that, lots to ponder.

Jude

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
9,336 posts
478 reviews
7. Re: Milford sound

the coach trip goes through te anau and most stop for a break there as well so you would still see Te Anau briefly. And i dont recommend Te Anau as an overnight if you are short on time, The return coach day trip from Queenstown is great use of time, and the large windows on the coach means you really can enjoy the views and scenery.

East Yorks
Level Contributor
92 posts
44 reviews
8. Re: Milford sound

Thanks John

Or itinerary is a bit frantic. We are in a campervan and have a night in a hotel in Christchurch and Auckland and 23 in the van. Still haven't decided on full route. Not sure whether to go Akaroa or Kaikoura, Arthur's Pass or Lewis Pass. Any thoughts?

Jude

East Yorks
Level Contributor
92 posts
44 reviews
9. Re: Milford sound

Thank you, invaluable info.

Jude

East Yorks
Level Contributor
92 posts
44 reviews
10. Re: Milford sound

We have 25 days for both islands so we are tight on time and don't want to get home exhausted. Any tips gratefully received.

Thanks Jude

Reply to: Milford sound
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Milford Sound