We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catlins

Collinsville...
Level Contributor
100 posts
Catlins

Trying to finalize how many of our 20-day SI loop to spend in this area. We'll likely be entering the south from Te Anau, with an overnight in or near Invercargill.

Our highlights in the south will be a day (and possibly an overnight) on Stewart Island to do Ulva's guided walk (we're birders) and a couple of overnights in Dunedin / Otago Peninsula area.

My dilemma has to do with the Catlins. I understand the more direct route from Invercargill to Dunedin is route 1, whereas route 92 is the more scenic.

Given that I'd like to be able to make the drive in a day, should I take the more direct route 92? Or is route 1 doable and worth the added time required? Your insight will be much appreciated.

FLR

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,495 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Catlins

What a pity you're not stopping to take in the Catlins especially as a birder. There are many great places to go birding in the Catlins and not just for penguins. And lots of interesting areas to check out.

Collinsville...
Level Contributor
100 posts
2. Re: Catlins

Zappers,

With just 20 days on the SI, I'm sure there will be many places that we'll wish we had more time.

Since we are passing through the Catlins, can you recommend a couple of stops for birding including what we might see?

Thank you,

FLR

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
30,448 posts
93 reviews
3. Re: Catlins

If the weather is nice go via the Catlins.

If the weather is poor take the direct (4 hour) drive through Gore.

4. Re: Catlins

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2017, 09:15
Get answers to your questions about Invercargill