We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to get to clifden?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
368 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
how to get to clifden?

Hi there, does anyone have any suggestions on how a group of 5 of us, plus luggage, tents, food etc could get to Clifden without a car? , and back again 10 days later? Thanks

4 replies to this topic
Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to get to clifden?

With great difficulty I imagine. As far as I am aware there is no public transport through this area. Possibly Stray might go through here, otherwise a taxi might be the only option.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
368 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how to get to clifden?

Thanks for your reply. a few years ago we used Blue star taxis, then I saw a different post which mentioned riverton freight and people transport, was hoping maybe someone else had set up something similar in that area

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how to get to clifden?

Tracknet run a daily service between TeAnau and Invercargill. I don't think they go via the SSR, but it could be worth contacting them. They do private charters.

www.tracknet.net

Mentioned in this post
Invercargill
Invercargill
Southland Region, New Zealand
Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,734 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how to get to clifden?

You might be able to get to Tuatapere on the Hump Ridge shuttle, and since it is a shuttle and Clifden is not far and there are five of you, you might be able to convince them to take you on to Clifden (there is no transport in Tuatapere). Otherwise you're stuck with taxis and paying for them going both ways each time or maybe Riverton Freight will do the job for you.

Reply to: how to get to clifden?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Invercargill