We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Twizel to Aoraki / Mount Cook

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
Twizel to Aoraki / Mount Cook

Hello everyone,

Thank you all to everyone who has given me tips and advice for our upcoming trip to NZ next month :)

We have decided to stay in Twizel overnight and would like to go to Aoraki / Mount Cook as a day trip. Keeping in mind we are going in May, does anyone have any advice on things to do and see. We have hired a small hatchback and have our active 4 year old with us. As this is a last minute add on, I don’t have anything planned yet, but we are keen to see wildlife and have lots of photo opportunities.

Thank you 😊

4 replies to this topic
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island, Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand, Tonga
Level Contributor
24,602 posts
745 reviews
511 helpful votes
1. Re: Twizel to Aoraki / Mount Cook

check the weather forecast before travelling to check for ice or snow in may.

i suggest you walk the hooker valley, at least to the first swingbridge, even most 4 year olds can manage this.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Christchurch, South Island, Akaroa
Level Contributor
51,395 posts
577 reviews
231 helpful votes
2. Re: Twizel to Aoraki / Mount Cook

There is a brilliant lookout not far up SH80 on the left (big car park with toilets - iirc it is called Pete's Lookout.

The Tasman Glacier car park at Blue Pools gives access to 3 short walks, 2 or which are quite level - the 4WD tracked by the Glacier Explorers tour & the off-shoot to the right which leads to the Tasman River outlet where the icebergs accumulate.

Kea Point is another easy walk, suitable for an active 4 year-old.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New Zealand, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,108 posts
440 reviews
245 helpful votes
3. Re: Twizel to Aoraki / Mount Cook

I would just make sure you allow plenty of time for stops along the way and don't forget to get a snack on the first floor of the hermitage hotel cafe there are great views from the balcony of the snow and glacier

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Twizel to Aoraki / Mount Cook

Wonderful, thank you all!!

Reply to: Twizel to Aoraki / Mount Cook
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about South Island
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.