We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining options

Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
Dining options

We will be staying in Christchurch for 2 nights. We were recommended to dine at the trolley restaurant. It it price fixed and seems expensive. Is it worth it?

10 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New Zealand, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,866 posts
440 reviews
245 helpful votes
1. Re: Dining options

We found the Thai Chef's Restaurant Christchurch at 1 Riccarton Road near the botanical gardens was a great place to eat.

https://www.thaichef.co.nz/home1/

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Christchurch, South Island, Akaroa
Level Contributor
51,282 posts
577 reviews
231 helpful votes
2. Re: Dining options

I've heard nothing but good things about the Tram restaurant. Like many very sort after things with very limited seats they do seem to be able to charge what they want, but it is usually fully booked. There are many top-end restaurants in Christchurch if you prefer your table to remain stationary while you eat.

Arrowtown, New...
Level Contributor
8,150 posts
68 reviews
65 helpful votes
3. Re: Dining options

Like Zhuhai I've heard lots of recommendations for Tramway.

$135 for four course (starter, entree, main, dessert) incl arrival drink - and according to Tramway 'fine dining'. I think this is an appropriate price.

You'll pay the same, if not more for many 'finedining' - 'hatted'/ top NZ restaurants...

Eg. Amisfield (near Queenstown) dinner degustation is now $360pp (this is the extreme - it is 'considered' top restaurant and top chef in NZ).

The 'trust the chef' at another top Queenstown restaurant -Rātā is $155pp.

And nearby Aosta (Arrowtown) the 'Taste of the South' (9dishes) is $120pp.

Edited: 24 February 2024, 09:20
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
17,527 posts
214 reviews
106 helpful votes
4. Re: Dining options

I like eating in nice restaurants. There is no way we would pY $135 a head, with wine, even on a "push the boat out" night!

OH would have a pink fit!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
337 posts
383 reviews
228 helpful votes
5. Re: Dining options

Oxford Terrace by the river has plenty of dining options across multiple price ranges. Some like Amazonita & Chihuahua need bookings most nights of the week but if you aren't fussy then you will get a seat at one of the restaurants.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island, Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand, Tonga
Level Contributor
24,276 posts
742 reviews
511 helpful votes
6. Re: Dining options

Some memories last a lifetime and are worth paying for. Live without regrets,

And make the most of opportunities when travelling such as unique good restaurants

California
Destination Expert
for New Zealand
Level Contributor
18,658 posts
71 reviews
33 helpful votes
7. Re: Dining options

We had a 3-Michelen star restaurant in our town ( left during COVID). We went to it a couple of times. Expensive as anything, but a wonderful experience. We'd rather do that once every 2 years than once a week at a mediocre place. We actually enjoy cooking together - sue us! To each their own.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
6 reviews
2 helpful votes
8. Re: Dining options

For me the need to eat is the worst part of travel. I like to book an apartment with a microwave but then reading labels in foreign languages in supermarkets provides another challenge. I went to Maccas for dinner three times in 11 days in Vienna last year. I love a Big Mac and fries. I only have a vague memory of the more expensive meals I ate. Only twice in the evening and a few times for lunch.

It now seems more necessary to pre-book a restaurant. Eating out is only really enjoyable with company and I mainly travel alone.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
17,527 posts
214 reviews
106 helpful votes
9. Re: Dining options

We all make choices. #6 and we don't all have limitless funds. I can't remember 1 meal in Paris but I do remember standing in front of Monet paintings.

Our wee dog is not motivated by food but by play. Still each to their own.

I'd sooner spend 2/3 the money in the Monday Room or 49 steps in New Regent St and have some left over for an activity.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New Zealand, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,866 posts
440 reviews
245 helpful votes
10. Re: Dining options

#9 as you say each to their own.

Unless it is a significant occasion I would rather spend money on the attractions etc on holiday than eating at fancy restaurants

Reply to: Dining options
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about South Island
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.