We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top of the South - fly in/out Christchurch

Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
Top of the South - fly in/out Christchurch
Save

We are planning a quick trip of the top of the South Island 7 nights via car for 2 adults, staying the final night in Christchurch for early flight home so here is my itinerary.

We enjoy quaint interesting places and hope to be staying in small Air-bnbs along the way.

Never been to these areas before, are these places good? have I missed any great small places? should I pass on any? Thank You :)

Day 1 stay in either Hamner Spring or Kaikoura

Day 2 stay in Nelson (with friends)

Day 3 stay in St Arnaud

Day 4 stay in Cape Foulwind

Day 5 stay in Punakaiki

Day 6 stay in Hokitika

Day 7 stay in Christchurch

3 replies to this topic
California
Destination Expert
for New Zealand
Level Contributor
18,437 posts
71 reviews
33 helpful votes
1. Re: Top of the South - fly in/out Christchurch
Save

I'd sacrifice the night at either St Arnaud or Punakaiki to have a 2nd night at Nelson. This would give you a full day to explore Abel Tasman NP. As you have it, you have all one-night stays, which will get very tiring.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New Zealand, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,365 posts
440 reviews
244 helpful votes
2. Re: Top of the South - fly in/out Christchurch
Save

You can visit the lake and wharf at St Arnaud after a coffee in the alpine lodge then lunch at Murchison before heading to Cape Foulwind. We even had time to do the Buller River Jetboat attraction. Don't forget to check out the seal colony too, we did that in the morning before heading to Punakaiki.

We stayed at Oamu Settlers Lodge (with continetal breakfast included) ,lovely host and landscaped gardens with slight ocean views (nice for a walk) and a hotel for meals at night just across the road.

So all in all as mentioned by deSchenke I would probably add a second night in Nelson to do an Abel Tasman National park cruise or walk and drive from Nelson direct to Cape Foulwind on day 4

Nelson-Tasman...
Destination Expert
for South Island, Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand, Tonga
Level Contributor
23,740 posts
726 reviews
507 helpful votes
3. Re: Top of the South - fly in/out Christchurch
Save

A fantastic loop and some stunning areas of NZ - i also would tweak. one night stays only allow half an day to explore and in places like abel tasman national park its not enough (dont miss ATNP - ive travelled nz regularly and it is stunning)

Day 1 stay in either Hamner Spring or Kaikoura

Day 2 stay in Nelson (with friends)

Day 3 Abel Tasman national park,

Day 4 drive via kerr bay, nelson lakes national park to cape foulwind

Day 5 stay in Punakaiki

Day 6 stay in Hokitika

Day 7 stay in Christchurch

Reply to: Top of the South - fly in/out Christchurch
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about South Island
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.