We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family helicopter ride, Milford Sound or glacier?

Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
Family helicopter ride, Milford Sound or glacier?

If choosing a helicopter ride to appeal to the whole family (teens), which would be more spectacular and memorable in your opinion?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family helicopter ride, Milford Sound or glacier?

Better places to go than Milford or a glacier, how much do you want to spend?

Oz
Level Contributor
14,677 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family helicopter ride, Milford Sound or glacier?

Hi,

Impossible to say entirely dependent on weather, individual likes and dislikes and activities panned.

When are you visiting ? Many heli hikes are cancelled due to poor visibility so you roll the dice on the west coast. Fiordland is less problematic.

Cheers,

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family helicopter ride, Milford Sound or glacier?

heli hike and walking on a glacier. A highlight of my teens was the ultimate heli hike.

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Family helicopter ride, Milford Sound or glacier?

The Helicopter ride out of Milford Sound to Queenstown almost aways will include a glacier landing. This is one of the best Heli tours in NZ and is the perfect way to finish a day trip from Queenstown to Milford Sound in a coach.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Family helicopter ride, Milford Sound or glacier?

Go to and from Milford via helicopter from Queenstown and a number of the companies include a glacier landing. Try Glacier Southern Lakes Helicopters. If you prefer a plane to save a few $ try Air Milford but obviously no landing on the glacier.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
5,719 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family helicopter ride, Milford Sound or glacier?

We have been 3 times to Fox Glacier on the West Coast and each time the conditions did not allow for a Glacier Flight and landing. Always the next day they would be going but with such a backlog we missed out with our 2 night stays on each occasion. I am told it is spectacular though. I have only walked on the Glacier with Guides but not as far as the planes go up.

PS They are fairly expensive though so pick which one suits you. Of course it you have 2 weeks in NZ then you could travel down the West Coast from Christchurch and if you manage to do it at Fox or Franz Joseph then you won't need to try again in Queenstown (for Milford Sound)

Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family helicopter ride, Milford Sound or glacier?

Thanks for these replies, very helpful.

We're not interested in doing the road trip to Milford Sound but thought a helicopter would be an alternative way to see it. Teens would probably love a glacier landing, I'll look into a company that does both and see how much it is.

We will be there at the beginning of October.

I was thinking around $300/person as far as budget goes.

Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family helicopter ride, Milford Sound or glacier?

greytraveller, I was thinking just that. We are going to Franz Josef for a night and we could initially try doing it there, if not maybe try again in Wanaka and then Queenstown.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Family helicopter ride, Milford Sound or glacier?

I'm not trying to sound mean or anything but $300pp won't cut it for flights to Milford Sound, you'll roughly need to triple that for a helicopter and almost double it for a plane. Flying at Franz/Fox Glacier will come in around the $300 price simply as the machines don't have to fly so far.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
413 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family helicopter ride, Milford Sound or glacier?

We did a helicopter flight over Milford Sound with a glacier landing total of about 1.5hours and the cost was close to $500 each - it was magnificent and a fantastic way to see the area. Luckily we had bright blue skies and snow that looked like marshmallows all over the mountains then the great Milford Sound from the air. This was in September 2016.

It is an expensive thing to do but worth every cent if the weather is good - we had been to Skippers Canyon jet boating in the morning and when we got back into Queenstown the weather looked good so just walked into a small tour booking place and they were able to get a flight for us that was leaving about an hour later.

The chopper took 6 people, plus pilot, and we changed seats over after the Glacier - get the front from the start if you can!