We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emergency housing

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
117 reviews
53 helpful votes
Emergency housing
Save

Hi all

Is there a list of the Taupo hotels which are being used for emergency accommodation? Have found similar for Rotorua but can’t find for taupo though have seen warnings and reports and some out of date stuff from 2019.

Not to cast aspersions, but travelling with family from overseas and small kids and don’t fancy it.

5 replies to this topic
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central, New Zealand, North Island, Cook Islands
Level Contributor
28,372 posts
140 reviews
82 helpful votes
1. Re: Emergency housing
Save

Kia Ora Brent,

You could select properties to stay at in Taupo, and contact the management of individual properties directly about your concerns.

Or ask the Taupo visitor information centre (i_SITE) what they know?

Nelson-Tasman...
Destination Expert
for South Island, Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand, Tonga
Level Contributor
23,740 posts
726 reviews
507 helpful votes
2. Re: Emergency housing
Save

Here is one site which may help https://www.visions.org.nz/emergency-housing

A number of motels in my home town which provided emergency housing reverted back to motels pre christmas as they were book solid and had been for a year. They arent advised locally which ones were emergency housing, but just looking at crime stats it was obvious. the minute the one near us was emergency housing letterboxes were trashed, beer bottles smashed on the public footpaths, vomit, burglaries, yelling. We knew. Then juwt recently i biked past and there was no glass on the footpath and it was all back to normal and no glass, no rowdy noise and yelling and there have been no letterboxes trashed.

So, its a good idea to check cause it can affect experiences. Many of those who need emergency housing are appreciative caring careful people, but it only takes one or two to ruin it for others.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central, New Zealand, North Island, Cook Islands
Level Contributor
28,372 posts
140 reviews
82 helpful votes
3. Re: Emergency housing
Save

Another thought, Brent,

With your own family plus your visitors from overseas, I suggest having a look at short term holiday houses in a suitable location. Acacia Bay and Kinloch would be my picks for places to stay, but there may be a lovely property along the Miles too.

See what's listed and I don'texpect that private rental homes will be cheap, but they give you certain privacy for a larger group with all the mod cons.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
17,316 posts
214 reviews
106 helpful votes
4. Re: Emergency housing
Save

Its probably the 80 :20 bell curve or whateved! 80% of trouble caused by 20% of the partisipants.

I am currently organising a road trip in March staying in Motels. I ask if the motel if they are involved in emergency housing. They are used to being asked.

Its outside the school holidays and we keen to avoid groups of children.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
117 reviews
53 helpful votes
5. Re: Emergency housing
Save

Thank you for the considered and helpful replies

Reply to: Emergency housing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Taupo
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.