We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation recommendations 2 nights

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
150 posts
87 reviews
41 helpful votes
Accommodation recommendations 2 nights
Save

Hi

I'm after some recommendations for accommodation for 2 nights

We are happy to pay up to $300 a night or even a little more for something special. If we can find something nice for less then that then fantastic

We would like a view of the lake and to be within walking distance of town. We like a wine or two with dinner so would like to be able to walk to restaurant and bars.

Appreciate any help

5 replies to this topic
Nelson-Tasman...
Destination Expert
for South Island, Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand, Tonga
Level Contributor
23,740 posts
726 reviews
507 helpful votes
1. Re: Accommodation recommendations 2 nights
Save

Have you had a look on TA taupo accommodation. you can put filters in for price, traveller rankings etc. there are thousands of reviews and so start there as only a few here on the forum, compared to the thousands on the reviews - and i dont imagine any of us have stayed in all the motels.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/SmartDeals-g255113-Taupo_Taupo_District_Waikato_Region_North_Island-Hotel-Deals.html

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central, New Zealand, North Island, Cook Islands
Level Contributor
28,372 posts
140 reviews
82 helpful votes
2. Re: Accommodation recommendations 2 nights
Save

Hi Sally,

For a lakefront hotel, Manuels on the lake with uninterrupted views and a full service hotel with 2 licenced restaurants would be my recommendation. It's been well regarded for many years. Not a short walk to the town centre, so best to drive if you plan to go anywhere/sightsee. Although there are attractive short walks from the hotel itself. Now called the Millenium Taupo -

https://www.millenniumhotels.com/en/taupo/millennium-hotel-and-resort-manuels-taupo/

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
150 posts
87 reviews
41 helpful votes
3. Re: Accommodation recommendations 2 nights
Save

Thanks both for the replies

I have looked on TA Taupo accomodation but I am finding it hard to tell what hotels are close to town.

We do want to be able to walk to town for dinner and a drink. Driving for sightseeing not a problem of course

Thanks again

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central, New Zealand, North Island, Cook Islands
Level Contributor
28,372 posts
140 reviews
82 helpful votes
4. Re: Accommodation recommendations 2 nights
Save

Hotels close to the town centre are limited as you have discovered. I wouldn't bother driving to the town centre when you have 2 licenced restaurants at Manuel's.

If you aren't keen to stay at Manuel's, have a look at The Cove hotel along this stretch of the lakefront. Or look at the Wairakei Resort which is north of Taupo, and located at Wairakei, close to Huka Falls.

When you look at a map of Taupo, you can clearly see that Taupo sits off to the side of the lakefront and is closer to the Waikato River. Numerous motels located close to the town centre. Be wary of any that are taken up by social housing though.

Edited: 1 year ago
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
150 posts
87 reviews
41 helpful votes
5. Re: Accommodation recommendations 2 nights
Save

Fantastic, thanks for the tips

Reply to: Accommodation recommendations 2 nights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Taupo
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.