We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finish honeymoon in New Zealand or Fiji?

Seattle, Washington
14 posts
Finish honeymoon in New Zealand or Fiji?

My husband and I are honeymooning in New Zealand early 2016. We plan to spend about 14 days on the South Island mostly trekking and adventuring, but we want to spend 2-3 nights doing something more luxurious and honeymoon-ish. Should we spend those last nights at a resort in New Zealand, or are we better off flying to Fiji for a short, upscale vacation? Does the South Island have nice beach resorts? We're flexible on timing, so we could visit any time between February and April. Thank you!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,196 posts
80 reviews
31 helpful votes
1. Re: Finish honeymoon in New Zealand or Fiji?

IMO I'd go for Fiji - look at heading to an island (ie not Denarau or Nadi or Coral Coast) splash out for somewhere like Vomo or Tokoriki Island resorts. Go for three nights - stretch it to four if you can.

April will be school holidays downunder for both NZ and Australia along with Easter holiday last weekend in March.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
92 reviews
167 helpful votes
2. Re: Finish honeymoon in New Zealand or Fiji?

I would do the Island relax thing at the end. New Zealand has some beautiful beaches in the South Island, especially from Kaiteriteri and up into Abel Tasman National Park. The water temperature is not as warm as I would like it though, but I'm a soft Aussie. Rather than a separate flight to Filji, have you thought about a stopover to Rarotonga in the Cook Islands. This would give you your tropical relaxation, and break up the return journey.

Oz
Level Contributor
18,996 posts
41 reviews
22 helpful votes
3. Re: Finish honeymoon in New Zealand or Fiji?

Hi,

Congratulations on your nuptials.

I think for a Finnish Honeymoon you would need to at least start in Helsinki an/or fly with FinnAir.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rwc3VGvlRY

Cheers,

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central, New Zealand, North Island, Cook Islands
Level Contributor
28,726 posts
140 reviews
82 helpful votes
4. Re: Finish honeymoon in New Zealand or Fiji?

Fly up to the Bay of Islands, or across to Great Barrier Island (NE of Auckland). Don't spend precious hours waiting for an international flight, and a transfer to a Fijian island. New Zealand has some glorious coastal scenery; especially in Northland & the Hauraki Gulf islands.

Have a look at Eagle's Nest in Russell for starters. But I can highly recommend Gt Barrier island with Medland beach as a wonderful get-away destination. Handy to Auckland too with daily flights out of Auckland domestic and Ardmore airports.

Edited: 8 years ago
Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
132 reviews
130 helpful votes
5. Re: Finish honeymoon in New Zealand or Fiji?

Have a look at Western Samoa , it's our favourite, to get a feel for the place put aside 4 full days. Very relaxing and laid back, more reasonably priced compared to Fiji .

New Plymouth, New...
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
78 reviews
46 helpful votes
6. Re: Finish honeymoon in New Zealand or Fiji?

I'd go for Samoa too - but there are no flights from there back to the US. The only options are via Fiji (Nadi Airport/NAN) with Air New Zealand and Air Pacific, Rarotonga with Air New Zealand, and French Polynesia (Faa'a Airport/PPT) with Air New Zealand and Air Tahiti Nui.

Ozrcflyer - as always, your wacky Aussie humour makes me laugh.

The Eagle's Nest suggested by Frangipani is the most expensive place in the country, and costs thousands a night, but it would DEFINITELY be a classy end to your honeymoon. You get a butler and private chef and spoiled to the nth degree.

I'd consider flying home via Rarotonga if possible, otherwise there are other secluded and expensive places to stay in the Bay of Islands - but not nearly as expensive as the Eagle's Nest. http://www.pawhaoabaylodge.co.nz/ at Whangaruru Harbour looks very good value for money.

I've been a member of "the it doesn't matter what it costs as long as you get what you pay for" club for years.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
7,014 posts
268 reviews
558 helpful votes
7. Re: Finish honeymoon in New Zealand or Fiji?

Hi

I'd go to Fiji. There are many upmarket places to stay which can be reached by helicopter or private sea plane. Wonderful beaches and warm air and sea temperatures.

If I had unlimited resources for an ultra luxurious stay I'd consider this one. Your own private island and only a short helicopter trip from Nadi.

http://www.wadigi.com/

8. Re: Finish honeymoon in New Zealand or Fiji?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.