We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 ish day itinerary

Bridgeport...
Level Contributor
350 posts
89 reviews
25 helpful votes
10 ish day itinerary
Save

Good day,

I am just starting to make my 10 day tour of the South Island. I need help making paring it down, if possible. This is for February 2025 4 adults.

Queenstown-2 n

Wanaka-1 n

Lake Tekapo2n

Oamura2n

Dunedin(maybe just stop and visit and not stay over)

Catlins1n

Te Anu-2

Any input is greatly appreciated. I am working on flight.. have a list of things to do in each place.. just need to narrow that down.. if you have a better itinerary.. I am open to it.. thank you very much

6 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New Zealand, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,801 posts
440 reviews
245 helpful votes
1. Re: 10 ish day itinerary
Save

I would probably look at a loop like this.

1. Arr CHC and overnight

2. Drive to Oamaru (penguins/historic precinct)

3. Drive to Dunedin (2N)

4. Explore Dubedin and the Otago Peninsula (seals, penguins, albatross)

5 Drive to Te Anau (2N)

6. Drive or tour to Milford Sound

7. Drive to QTN (2N)

8. Explore

9. Drive to Mt Cook

10. Drive to CHC via Lake Tekapo.

Nelson-Tasman...
Destination Expert
for South Island, Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand, Tonga
Level Contributor
24,217 posts
739 reviews
509 helpful votes
2. Re: 10 ish day itinerary
Save

i agree with #1 suggestion. Dunedin isnt a place you just have a look around in a day

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Christchurch, South Island, Akaroa
Level Contributor
51,255 posts
577 reviews
231 helpful votes
3. Re: 10 ish day itinerary
Save

Are you flying both in AND out of ZQN?

I would be inclined to reverse the direction of travel since you are obviously flying home on the last day & Wanaka is a lot closer to ZQN:

1 & 2 QTN (2N)

3 & 4. Te Anau/Milford Sound

5. Catlins

6 & 7 Dunedin (it is too far to not stay at all & so much to do)

8. Oamaru

9. Lake Tekapo

10. Wanaka.

If you can squeeze in one more night, I would strongly recommend Aoraki Mt Cook on N10; then Wanaka on N11.

Edited: 27 February 2024, 13:23
Bridgeport...
Level Contributor
350 posts
89 reviews
25 helpful votes
4. Re: 10 ish day itinerary
Save

WE are flexible in our aiports to fly in and out of.. My husband and I will be flying from Sydney( nyc to Singapore for 2 days then to Sydney,) in the process of booking and moving miles.. my daughter and her BF will be flying in from the Gold Coast.. At the end of our NZ adventure we will spend 2 days in Melbourne , and then on to the Gold Coast to use as a base for some AUS fun, and the kids will go back to work.

I appreciate all the guidance, I am a bit overwhelmed with this trip. I realize we can't do it all, but the country seems glorious. We will need another trip back at some point .

I also appreciate the kindness in this forum. I have been on some recently that are just plain mean.

Thanks again

Bridgeport...
Level Contributor
350 posts
89 reviews
25 helpful votes
5. Re: 10 ish day itinerary
Save

we can fly in and out of any airport , we will be flying in from Sydney, and when we leave NZ we are thinking of spending 2 days in Melbourne before heading up to the Gold coast. (dgtr lives there).. would it be best to use 2 different airports? Zhuhai2007 ? Thanks for all the info.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New Zealand, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,801 posts
440 reviews
245 helpful votes
6. Re: 10 ish day itinerary
Save

There are direct flights from Christchurch to Melbourne so the itinerary in #1 would work for you.

Reply to: 10 ish day itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.