We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clearing customs

Corona, California
Level Contributor
271 posts
71 reviews
17 helpful votes
Clearing customs
Save

We will be flying LAX-NAN-WLG-CHC on Fiji Airways. The last flight will be on Air NZ (all flights on one ticket, issued by Fiji Airways). Will we be clearing customs in WLG or CHC? The layover time in WLG is 1:30, and we are planning on carry-on only.

24 replies to this topic
California
Destination Expert
for New Zealand
Level Contributor
18,618 posts
71 reviews
33 helpful votes
1. Re: Clearing customs
Save

First point of entry, WLG. With carry-on only, you should be fine.

Nelson-Tasman...
Destination Expert
for South Island, Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand, Tonga
Level Contributor
24,217 posts
739 reviews
509 helpful votes
2. Re: Clearing customs
Save

wellington. 1.30 is cutting it a bit fine. The arrival time is the time the plane lands. If its late, delays getting to apron, delays in immigration you are going to be a little stressed.

However, Wellington is auicker than Auckland as the international and domestic are all in the same building so you dont have to travel between terminals.

If you have carry on its possible it could be fine. If you have checked in bags i think you will be pushing it as the baggage check in for domestic closes 30 minutes before and this is strictly enforced.

Corona, California
Level Contributor
271 posts
71 reviews
17 helpful votes
3. Re: Clearing customs
Save

thanks for the quick replies. yes, we're planning on carry on only, and with the additional factor of baggage check in closing 30 min before the flight, we'll definitely stick to that plan!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
8,764 posts
367 reviews
291 helpful votes
4. Re: Clearing customs
Save

As it's all on one ticket, if there is any major delay you'd be rebooked on a later flight. There are plenty of flights between Wellington and Christchurch.

Nelson-Tasman...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,217 posts
739 reviews
509 helpful votes
5. Re: Clearing customs
Save

#4 agreed. as long as it isnt peak time or an event on and flights booked up.

Corona, California
Level Contributor
271 posts
71 reviews
17 helpful votes
6. Re: Clearing customs
Save

thank you for all the reassurances, appreciate greatly. i got our fares at a pretty good discount, so if i cancel (I am within my 24 hrs) I would have to rebook at a higher price. I did check that there are three flights departing later than mine.

We had been booked on a Qantas flight that was LAX-SYD-CHC, but they changed the departure time to two hours earlier, and we won't be able to make that time, so spent a bit of time working on the alternate itinerary.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Christchurch, South Island, Akaroa
Level Contributor
51,255 posts
577 reviews
231 helpful votes
7. Re: Clearing customs
Save

If you are on the Qantas/Fiji codeshare that arrives at 11:35 am, I think there will be at least 5 flights to CHC after that on NZ; WLG is a very small airport but they have separate security screening for each gate so all you have to do once you arrive into the public area, is look at the screens & find your gate.

Corona, California
Level Contributor
271 posts
71 reviews
17 helpful votes
8. Re: Clearing customs
Save

our flight arrives from Nadi at 12:35 PM (time change?). thanks for all the great information.

it would be nice to get to Christchurch at 3 PM. would give us a chance to enjoy the city and the gardens and a nice, relaxed dinner :-)

Nelson-Tasman...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,217 posts
739 reviews
509 helpful votes
9. Re: Clearing customs
Save

also be aware - Economy carry-on can weigh up to 7kg (15lb) and the maximum sizes - Carry-on size is calculated by measuring a bag's length, width and height (including any wheels and packed away handles), then adding the three measurements together. The total can be up to 118cm (46.5 inches).

Note: If you are flying on our smaller Q300 aircrafts, the measurement 'C' must not exceed 22cm (8.7 inches).

Dont try and exceed this as you may find you have to check your luggage in and get charged a premium price.

Corona, California
Level Contributor
271 posts
71 reviews
17 helpful votes
10. Re: Clearing customs
Save

Thanks for the tips. I just looked it up, they're scheduled to fly an A320.

I will be using the carry on that I used this past April when I flew Air NZ (return flight was WLG-AKL-LAX). it's a standard Samsonite rolling bag and they didn't look twice.

If I don't have checked bags, and I have a boarding pass already, I would think I would head straight to the boarding gate. Does that decrease the chance of a weigh-in? When I've had my carry ons weighed, it's almost always been an Asian airline, and at the check in counter.

I do get two 7 kg carry ons or one 14 kg carry on with Fiji, biz class, but I lose that allowance when I connect to that last flight. We're pretty light packers, though, and worst case I will switch to the backpack carry on which weighs less, empty, than the roller.

Appreciate all the care and effort you and the other TA members put into making travelers feel more prepared.

Reply to: Clearing customs
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.