We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile phone usage in nz and aus

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Mobile phone usage in nz and aus

As someone who doesn’t use mobile phones for anything but if the car breaks down, I am in a bit of a quandary as to what to do for our forthcoming trip to nz and Aus. In the uk I have pay as you go and no contract as I don’t use it enough. But I will need to check CamperMate etc whilst we are touring NZ in particular. If I buy a SIM card as soon as I get there and top it up which service would people recommend ? Is this the best answer for me for the 3 weeks we are there? What would people suggest I do ? I have an ageing iPhone so any help would be really appreciated. Thanks

7 replies to this topic
Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,839 posts
78 reviews
1. Re: Mobile phone usage in nz and aus

Is the phone unlocked so you can slip in a new SIM when you get here? In NZ, a month on 2Degrees costs $19 with enough data to cover your needs. In Australia, I use Optus, they have a plan for travellers with way more data than I could ever use for (I think) $20 or $25.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
6,507 posts
289 reviews
2. Re: Mobile phone usage in nz and aus

The most important thing is to check with YOUR provider to see if the phone is unlocked. That is so you can remove your sim card for the duration of you trip and insert one from another country. If that is not the case you may need to buy a cheap phone when you arrive.

Edited: 10 October 2018, 23:08
Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
3. Re: Mobile phone usage in nz and aus

yes its unlocked, I bought it off a friend and we just changed his sim card to mine and it worked fine.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
5,408 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Mobile phone usage in nz and aus

In that case Barry has the answer. We did the same, a 2degrees sim for $19 is plenty for a month.

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
5. Re: Mobile phone usage in nz and aus

that's great, thanks for the help

California
Level Contributor
11,231 posts
73 reviews
6. Re: Mobile phone usage in nz and aus

>>>yes its unlocked, I bought it off a friend and we just changed his sim card to mine and it worked fine.<<<

But if your friend's phone company and your's is one and the same, the SIMs would be interchangeable. The phone may still be locked if that was the case.

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
7. Re: Mobile phone usage in nz and aus

thanks I will double check

Reply to: Mobile phone usage in nz and aus
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted