We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tight connection in Auckland? Bay of Islands?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Tight connection in Auckland? Bay of Islands?

Hello!

When I arrive in New Zealand in the middle of November, I want to head directly from Auckland to Paihia to go to the Bay of Islands. I was looking at the Fuller’s Cream Tour which seemed nice (a full day on the boat). The potential problem is that I have a tight connection in Auckland. My flight from Sydney would arrive at 5:25 PM, and the last flight to Kerikeri Airport (for Paihia) leaves Auckland at 7:35 PM. Unfortunately, they are different airlines.

Obviously, significant delays are unpredictable. But would booking this 2-hour and 10-minute connection be foolish? Or is it entirely feasible (barring any significant delay)?

The safer option would be to just go directly into Auckland city and do a full day tour leaving from Auckland and going to the Bay of Islands and back in the same day. But this is less desirable as it is a lot of road time and less time on the boat.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

5 replies to this topic
Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,833 posts
78 reviews
1. Re: Tight connection in Auckland? Bay of Islands?

If the plane is on time, this will normally work. Even if it takes an hour to get through formalities, you'd still be able to drop your bags in the international terminal (they must be dropped an hour before departure) and make your way to the domestic terminal. It is a regional non-jet flight, so you don't even have to go through security before getting on the Kerikeri flight.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Tight connection in Auckland? Bay of Islands?

Thank you, NZBarry!

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
9,336 posts
474 reviews
3. Re: Tight connection in Auckland? Bay of Islands?

make sure your travel insurance covers for missed flights and travel delays. Where are you seated on the plane? If you have to disembark on the tarmac and shuttled to the terminal it can take half an hour if you are at the back of plane. Then allow up to half an hour for bags. Getting through customs can be the biggest hold up if you have to declare and if you carrying anything prohibited so make sure everything is clean, no food etc.

i think its doable.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
18,160 posts
130 reviews
4. Re: Tight connection in Auckland? Bay of Islands?

I would hedge my bets and go with that! I know I've done so in the past arriving into Auckland and getting over to the domestic terminal for my domestic flight to Whangarei. That worked, so I'm hoping that your inbound flight arrives Auckland on time for you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Tight connection in Auckland? Bay of Islands?

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Reply to: Tight connection in Auckland? Bay of Islands?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted