We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should I live?

Stroud, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Where should I live?

Hey guys. Planning on going out to NZ on a work visa in a matter of months. Where should I live? I'm 30, what alot of people would call a 'hipster' (I like good food and beer, movies, markets and music). As well as bartending I will be gigging with my band, music scene is very important to me, probably the most important aspect of where I would like to live. Unfortunately NZ isn't really much of a hotbed for music compared with Melbourne or other places but I'm looking for the best. At the moment I'm only really considering Wellington or Queensland. I've been told by almost everyone that Auckland is super dull and super expensive.

Other pluses are lots of other travellers around, lots of hustle and bustle (not not necessarily ovecrowded, just 'buzzy') and multi cultural people. Scenery is a most but this seems pretty much impossible to get wrong in NZ!

Inspire me :)

17 replies to this topic
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
9,709 posts
219 reviews
1. Re: Where should I live?

Well mate I think a couple of comments in there are going to upset the locals.

"Unfortunately NZ isn't really much of a hotbed for music compared with Melbourne or other places but I'm looking for the best. At the moment I'm only really considering Wellington or Queensland. I've been told by almost everyone that Auckland is super dull and super expensive."

I think you need to do a bit more research on what NZ is really like.However I guess someone might come out of their cave, and give you a couple of opinions.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
9,331 posts
474 reviews
2. Re: Where should I live?

Why dont you go to Melbourne or Queensland then if it meets your interests?

I think ozrcflyer would suggest Gore.

Edited: 02 August 2018, 10:44
Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,835 posts
78 reviews
3. Re: Where should I live?

There's going to be a difficulty in meeting your needs: Queenstown definitely has it in terms of other travellers, places to get a hospo job and a sense of bustle, but has very little in terms of a music scene or hipster vibe - for them, you'd need Wellington, which won't feature as many travellers, but can still be a bit lively and is on a fantastic harbour.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
18,173 posts
130 reviews
4. Re: Where should I live?

Wellington is very lively, and has some good features like its foodie scene and coffee culture.

Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
128 reviews
5. Re: Where should I live?

Wellington. Great craft beer, cafes, young vibe, arty, hipster, plenty of hospo jobs and there's even a bit of a music scene.

Oz
Level Contributor
14,984 posts
50 reviews
6. Re: Where should I live?

Hi,

Absolutely.............Gore.

The music scene should suit ewe to a "T".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsC4kf6x_Q0

Cheers,

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
9,709 posts
219 reviews
7. Re: Where should I live?

Pronounced Gorrrrre.

I think the OP is a troll and is just winding us up. Should not have taken the bait. :)

Edited: 02 August 2018, 12:54
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
40,170 posts
450 reviews
8. Re: Where should I live?

Ooooh, OZ, bad puns AND Duelling Banjos in one post. Is that a record, even for you?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
30,239 posts
93 reviews
9. Re: Where should I live?

in defense of Tom

<<I'm only really considering Wellington or Queensland.>>

I suspect he meant to write Wellington and Queenstown

<<I've been told by almost everyone that Auckland is super dull and super expensive.>>

can't argue with that :)

Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
128 reviews
10. Re: Where should I live?

No, you can't. Sorry Aucklandites.

Reply to: Where should I live?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted