We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in San Juan Chuccho

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in San Juan Chuccho

Hi,

Am wanting to do a self guided hike into the Colca Canyon with my boyfriend and was thinking to hike from Copacabande to San Juan Chuccho, stay the night and the next day hike to Sangalle, stay the night and then hike out.

Will be going early June. Do I need to book accommodation in advance. I keep hearing of only 2 places in San Juan. Casa de Roy and Rivelinos but don't see a way to book them online. Any suggestions?

5 replies to this topic
Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in San Juan Chuccho

We did a three day trek in the Colca Canyon as well. You might consider what we did because not many tour groups do what we did whereas they all seem to do what you are planning to do. Still, if you like your itinerary go for it. We hiked to the Llahuar Lodge on day 1, we wanted to sleep in Fure the second night but Fure was deserted so we had to hike on to Sangalle (long day). You can skip Fure though... there is a shorter way to get from Llahuar to Sangalle (see link below).

We did not book in advance (that was in January though, low season, and I think June is high season). The best thing to do is to ask your hotel in Cabanaconde whether it is necessary to book. If it is they can do it for you. All hotels in Cabanaconde can help you plan your trek. This website helped us a lot:

http://www.pachamamahome.com/cabanaconde.htm

It is a long read but very helpful!

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in San Juan Chuccho

Thank you so much! I was actually debating if we should go to Llahuar for night one and Sangalle night 2 but do you then end up hiking down and back up the same path? From the map it looks like you pass Sangalle to get to Llahuar?

Did you prefer Llahuar to Sangalle?

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in San Juan Chuccho

No, the trail to Llahuar is not the trail to Sangalle. To go to Llahuar you start from Mirador Achachiwa in Cabanaconde. From Llahuar we went to Fure and then Malata and Sangalle but you would skip Fure (it was a nice trail but made for a very long day). Again, read the website I mentioned above thoroughly. This is the relevant page for Llahuar:

www.pachamamahome.com/tours.htm#llahuar

I liked Llahuar a lot. I liked hiking there and there is a geyser on the way as well. Once we arrived at the lodge the views were great and there are the hot springs as well (see pictures in the link above). Sangalle was much more touristy (and it wasn't even busy when we were there). The hotel was very basic, the food was mediocre and the people were not really friendly. But the pool was nice and the oasis is pretty cool (it is nice to see it from different angles and the final approach from Malata is great as well). Hiking out was steep and quite hard.

valledelfuego.com/eng/colca_canyon_map.html (the second pink map is better than the first one)

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in San Juan Chuccho

Thank you, yes, the map is very helpful to get an idea of the routes and the link you sent is great! Much appreciated, I think we will likely go this route through Lluhar. I appreciate the advice!

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in San Juan Chuccho

We stayed at Roys place in San Juan Chuccho and really enjoyed it. Roy and his wife are so friendly, the food was excellent and our room had a shower (although water wasn't very warm). We booked via email at lacasaderoy@hotmail.com but it wasn't really necessary as we were the only ones staying there (this was at the end of May 2017).

The most popular place in San Juan Chuccho seems to be Gloria's. It was full with people when we walked past. We prefer it quiet so were happy with Roy's. There are a couple of other places but I can't remember the names, sorry.

Reply to: Where to stay in San Juan Chuccho
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Juan de Chuccho