We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gallagher's Restaurant or Ponte Vecchio Bunratty Manor

Maple Glen, PA
Level Contributor
545 posts
6 reviews
Gallagher's Restaurant or Ponte Vecchio Bunratty Manor

Our last night in Bunratty. Hoping to stay at the Bunratty Manor. Should we have dinner at their Italian restaurant Ponte Vechhio or try Gallaghers? How do I make a reservation at Gallaghers? Thanks

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,447 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: Gallagher's Restaurant or Ponte Vecchio Bunratty Manor

Hi. Gallagher's is int 353 61 363363. look for Barry or Breda.

Good choice of location for night at manor- they've just completed a new wing to left of building, so may be worthwhile asking for new rooms.

Tough question regarding the two restaurants. They share a history, Noel Wallace who owns the Manor used to be head waiter at Gallaghers, leaving to take over Manor's lease.

He is excellent at what he does, charming and personable. Food is excellent at the manor also. Have never had a bad experience here.

There's a tiny bar area where you wait to be seated, and the restaurant room (adjoining) is tastefully decorated.

However, it's hard to beat Gallagher's. The restaurant itself is epitome of quaint, white washed walls, stove, half doors, thatched roof and so on. Little nooks give an intimate feeling etc.

You'll sit near stove on arrival, order a round, and relax. Barry or Breda, or one of the other will talk you through evening's specials, a tradtion that Noel took with him to the manor.

If you like fish, you'll love Gallaghers -it's their speciality.

You'll be happy with both restaurants, but bear in mind you'll need to book well in advance.

Ferdia.

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
2. Re: Gallagher's Restaurant or Ponte Vecchio Bunratty Manor

For really excellent food The Red Door in Bunratty is "the" place to go. http://www.thereddoorrestaurant.com/ They have a well priced early bird menu as well as a la carte. I found it far superior to Gallaghers in food, service and ambiance. The seating was better at The Red Door because Gallaghers packs everyone in very tight. I like a place where you are not sitting in your neighbors lap.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,447 posts
35 reviews
3. Re: Gallagher's Restaurant or Ponte Vecchio Bunratty Manor

Had the poster been looking for general dining advice, I would have included the Red Door - it's certainly alot easier to get a reservation there, and the hostess Lorraine is excellent.

Gallagher's has always had the same seating arrangement & capacity since it opened it doors - little more than 12 tables placed well apart - where were you sitting Sally? (Are you sure we're talking about the same place?) Doubt if there's any difference between proximity of seating arrangements between any of the restaurants mentioned - and I have dined in all of them.

I've never felt remotely cramped - but as already mentioned, it is popular, so reservation is an issue. Also, tables are generally full, so perhaps may feel as more people there?

Kkgtbroker - if you dine at either, please report back

Ferdia.

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
4. Re: Gallagher's Restaurant or Ponte Vecchio Bunratty Manor

It was definitely Gallaghers and it was packed. There were several very large parties with the tables lined up to make long ones and the seating was extremely tight. If I moved my chair two inches back I was bumping into the chair behind me. I was one of a party of four. Two of the people (who ate the same entree) had a digestive upset for about a week afterward. There were a few entrys on the bill that were not ours but mistakenly added on. I was not that impressed.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,447 posts
35 reviews
5. Re: Gallagher's Restaurant or Ponte Vecchio Bunratty Manor

Sally from 'Florida'

"Two of the people (who ate the same entree) had a digestive upset for about a week afterward."

Odd you didn't mention that in your previous post....

Ireland
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Gallagher's Restaurant or Ponte Vecchio Bunratty Manor

The Red Door Restaurant, although lovely, is not "the" place to go in Bunratty. In fact they recently had a free night for B&B owners in Bunratty, in order to get them to recommend the place.

Gallaghers and Bunratty Manor restaurants dont have to do this!

It is often impossible to get a reservation in Gallaghers or the Manor ( no longer called Ponte Vecchio and no longer Italian)....but I certainly would try. Both excellent and personally I would find it impossible to choose between the two.

Have a lovely time, whichever one you choose!

Fionnuala

Maple Glen, PA
Level Contributor
545 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Gallagher's Restaurant or Ponte Vecchio Bunratty Manor

thanks Everyone. I booked the Bunratty Manor for our last night. Haven't made the dinner reservation as yet. Thanks for the tip that it's not Italian....hard to gather from the website, because that's what comes up. Will keep you posted.

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
8. Re: Gallagher's Restaurant or Ponte Vecchio Bunratty Manor

ferdida35,

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sally from 'Florida'

"Two of the people (who ate the same entree) had a digestive upset for about a week afterward."

Odd you didn't mention that in your previous post....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't see why it is odd at all. I have eaten at Gallaghers a few times. On only one occasion the tummy upsets happened. I have had similar problems at other restaurants when traveling around Ireland. I am sure you do not want to know the details of each problem and even if you did I might not want to share that info with you.

Do you work for Gallaghers? I see you are from 'Bunratty'. Yes, I live in the US. Does that disqualify me from posting my experiences here?

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,447 posts
35 reviews
9. Re: Gallagher's Restaurant or Ponte Vecchio Bunratty Manor

Yes Sally. I work for Gallaghers. It's all part of my master plan to overtake the Bunratty Barony for restaurant domination.

Ferdia

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
10. Re: Gallagher's Restaurant or Ponte Vecchio Bunratty Manor

Fionnuala,

For my money The Red Door is "the place to go". Excellent innovative food, nice atmosphere and good service. It is a new restaurant and when any enterprise opens they must get the word out about their place. I think it is smart advertisting to offer a free night for the Bunratty B&B owners so that they can sample the food and possibly recommend it to their guests if they like it. Give it a bit of time and The Red Door will have people waiting in line for reservations too. I think it is good to have more choices now in the Bunratty area.

Get answers to your questions about Bunratty