We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queenstown to Haast Mid August 2022

K L
Bentley, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
3 helpful votes
Queenstown to Haast Mid August 2022

I am travelling to and staying at Queenstown August 18 - 27. I have made this drive twice before (QT to FJ) but usually in late September. Can anyone advise if this drive is possible as a day trip mid to late August? It's my favourite part and it would be a shame to have to miss it. Thank you in advance 🙂

6 replies to this topic
New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,199 posts
6 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Queenstown to Haast Mid August 2022

You will have to wait until nearer the time. That road is closed today, mid July, along with many other roads in the area but was open last week. It could be either open or closed in mid August

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island, Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand, Tonga
Level Contributor
24,711 posts
748 reviews
511 helpful votes
2. Re: Queenstown to Haast Mid August 2022

a weather storm has hit the country today so trees down and power lines and slips and roads closed throughout nz. It was all forecast prior so So best to check the weather forecasts closer to the time.

K L
Bentley, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: Queenstown to Haast Mid August 2022

Thank you for your time, much appreciated.

Arrowtown, New...
Level Contributor
8,302 posts
68 reviews
65 helpful votes
4. Re: Queenstown to Haast Mid August 2022

Are you headed all the way to Haast township - or just partway along Haast Pass?? (Ie. As far as Blue Pools).

As above, you won't know whether conditions until much closer. You WILL need to be carrying chains over the Crown Range.

It would be more sensible to stay in Wanaka and visit Haast Pass area from there... cuts 60mins each way from the drive.... more time to hike and enjoy.

K L
Bentley, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
3 helpful votes
5. Re: Queenstown to Haast Mid August 2022

Hello and thank you!

At minimum I would like to get to Haast River Viewpoint, a little past Gates of Haast.

Yes I agree it would be best to stay/leave from Wanaka, but I have already secured my accommodation at QT.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island, Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand, Tonga
Level Contributor
24,711 posts
748 reviews
511 helpful votes
6. Re: Queenstown to Haast Mid August 2022

its a 3 hour trip one way from Queenstown to Haast. I wouldnt suggest this as a return day trip at all. I think it would be very dangerous in the winter conditions and its not an easy drive.

Its not recommended to drive before 10am or after 5pm in the winter months outside the cities and towns.

you will realise that the drive from fox township to Haast is much shorter and an easier drive than ffrom Haast to Wanaka and Queenstown. I suggest you do a different drive such as glenorchy, or arrowtown, or to cromwell.

Reply to: Queenstown to Haast Mid August 2022
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Haast
Recent Conversations
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of in . If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.