We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I stay in Aberdovey?

Stockport
Level Contributor
174 posts
12 reviews
Should I stay in Aberdovey?

I have booked a week's holiday in Porthmadog but would like to book a second week further down the coast and have heard Aberdovey is a lovely place. However, I am a bit concerned that there is not too much to do (touristy wise) in the area. Harlech is over an hour away and Aberystwyth is almost an hour. Can anyone please let me know if there is enough to do for a week with a teenager (13) in this area or am I better looking at a different resort? I don't mind some driving, but wouldn't want to have to drive an hour or more each way every day.

Many thanks.

2 replies to this topic
Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
2,906 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Should I stay in Aberdovey?

What time of year is this holiday?

What sort of accommodation will you be seeking?

What sort of things do you and the teenager like to do?

Aberdyfi is a charming place; within the Snowdonia National Park, so there have been restrictions on type of development, keeping it 'pretty' (no amusement arcades etc). Harbour, lifeboat station, and some nice places to eat. If you want to spend you time sunbathing on the beautiful beach, or walking , with an O.S. Map, in the hills behind the resort (drovers roads, Bearded Lake, etc), you'll love it. I recently walked/paddled the whole 4 miles of largely deserted sandy beach between Tywyn and Aberdyfi in bare feet ; how many other places in the UK can you do that?

You can't really swim in the sea at Aberdyfi, as it's on the estuary, with strong currents. Tywyn is a different sort of resort altogether, totally unpretentious, not so pretty, not in the SNP, but is a much better place for swimming in the sea. Lots of windsurfers - I know nothing about that sort of thing.

There are more varied attractions inland a bit.

Machynlleth: Wednesday market; Owain Glyndwr Parliament House, modern art gallery, swimming pool.

Heading north from Mach: Centre for Alternative Technology, Corris Craft Centre and King Arthur's Labyrith in the old slate mines.

Up to Minffordd/Talyllyn. Climb the mountain of Cader Idris, or enjoy a stroll alongside beautiful Talyllyn lake.

Cafe and hotels at lake, others nearby.

Heading west towards the coast again, at or near Abergynolwen ( 2 great food places, pub and community cafe) are the ruined 13th century castle of Castell y Bere, quite extensive but still free to visit, and the Talyllyn steam train (which runs between Abergynolwen/Nant Gwernol and Tywyn.

Dolgoch Falls and woodland walks also on route back to Tywyn.

Heading south from Machynlleth, it's not far to the Dyfi Osprey Project, and a water mill at Furnace.

There are a lot of things to do if you like walking in one of the most beautiful parts of Britain. And a fair few even if you do everything by car.

If you want a day in Aberystwyth you wouldn't havre to drive ...

Take the X29 bus to Mach for the guaranteed connection to the X28 to Aber. This is a double-decker , so sit upstairs, right-hand side, for great views of the Dyfi Valley - one of the loveliest bus routes in the country.

Use www.travelinecymru to check times.

So, a few ideas to consider.

Leicester, United...
1 post
2. Re: Should I stay in Aberdovey?

Aberdovey itself is now a quite run down town especially Plas Panteidal , for goodness sake dont stay there unless you are in training to join the Parachute Regiment , and all the road workers in the u.k. would refuse to re-surface that site road , pot hole land it should be called , no lights , no towells ,coin in the slot now that is so 1950`s .... No we wont be back there , and i`m a Taff . Even the local chippie. closed at 3 pm. , nah. dont go there folks especially the site on the hill 2 .2 miles from Aberdovey ..

Reply to: Should I stay in Aberdovey?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Aberdovey