We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tromso in december

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Tromso in december

I'm arriving in tromso the first week in December.can anyone recommend anything I should be seeing or doing? I'd love to see the whales and northern lights though I'm unsure if it's the right time for it.

15 replies to this topic
Rennes, France
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Tromso in december

You should visit https://www.visittromso.no/en , all the activities are there.

It's the right period for Northern LIghts, and it should be OK for whale watching as well, provided they come back as they did the previous years. However it might be a little early for snow-related activities, but you never know.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Tromso in december

Thank you for that.i was a bit worried about what we could do whilst there

Rennes, France
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Tromso in december

Chris N your posts will be reported as spam. Please stop this self-advertising.

Kent, United Kingdom
2 posts
4. Re: Tromso in december

The sun would be below the horizon in December but there is low light (twilight) lasting between 10am to 1.30pm so its possible to do activities during this time. It's pitch black by 2pm so perhaps a visit to Polaria or Polar Musuem may be a good thing to do in the afternoons.

Northern Light tours generally start at 6pm and can go on for several hours. You can also book tours to Polar Park - 3 hours south of Tromso but well worth it if your budget agrees.

Cali
Level Contributor
123 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Tromso in december

HiArticwayfarer2017 - regarding your comment about the daylight hours, are you saying that activities (aside from NL chasing) are only available in that small window of time? Is it possible to do other activities (reindeer, huskies, etc?) or is that 3.5 hour window it for outdoor activities?

Thanks!!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: Tromso in december

Ah sounds fantastic thank you.are the tours better to book whilst I'm there or online before do you no? Also do they still do whale tours at tgat time of year?

Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Tromso in december

I would like to know the same thing. For early Decemver: book tours in advance or when I get there?

Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
8. Re: Tromso in december

We are also visiting Tromsø in the first week of December. We have booked a northern lights chase with Guide Gunnar and a whale watching trip, but are unsure whether to book husky sledding beforehand or wait until we're there to see if there's enough snow... Those of you who are also travelling then, what have you decided to do? We're super excited 😀

Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Tromso in december

I’ve not booked anything yet. I’ve been told the humpback whales are not there and it’s not sure whether they will still cone. The whales follow the herring and the herring is not there. If anyone has different news: I’m super interested to here it!

Also it has been snowing already so I assume and hope there will be snow. Fingers crossed. I’m also super excited about the trip.

Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
10. Re: Tromso in december

Let's keep fingers and toes crossed that the herring get a wriggle on then! I think the company we booked with didn't start running the tours until Dec anyway so hopefully they're expecting them to be there by then. We'd heard it had already been snowing so hopefully sledding will be possible 😊

Reply to: Tromso in december
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tromso