We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naxos hotels

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Naxos hotels

Hi I am looking to goto Naxos for the first time next year for 6 nights. I am looking at the oHtel Spiros or Grotta. Any advices would be appreciated. We would look to explore Naxos but perhaps spend a few hours around the pool, (not really beach lovers for sunbathing, but for a few drinks to people watch) The Grotta has an indoor pool, does the hotel have outdoor sunbathing area?

Thanks

8 replies to this topic
Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
549 posts
1 review
1. Re: Naxos hotels

Hi Dawn - the “pool” at the Grotta is more the size of a jacuzzi. There is a rooftop terrace with sun loungers (and great views!). The Grotta is great place to stay if you are not bothered about having a beach on your doorstep. As far as exploring goes - there is a car parking area at the hotel if you hire a car and it is a 10 minute walk to the bus station.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
5,135 posts
216 reviews
2. Re: Naxos hotels

I have stayed at Grotta once, many years ago before the last renovation. I prefer other locations on Naxos. Whether you like beaches or not , the best location is mostly near a beach. Grotta is built in an atrium-like style. I don't know the inside anymore, but outside there are streets on two sides. The views to the Portara is very nice. It may be windy in northerly winds (which is the dominant wind-direction on Naxos). The shortcut path to the port area is rather dark in the evening. I guess the service is good. They have great reviews.

I have no experience with Spiros, though I would prefer the location. I would also recommend you to take a look at Galaxy. They have a very nice garden and a pool area with more open space around. Take a look at the Google maps and search up the location. In the same area you find Naxos Resort and Nissaki beach. From Nissaki it is a 5 min easy walk into the town.

Edited: 14 October 2018, 22:30
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
23,827 posts
43 reviews
3. Re: Naxos hotels

Grotta shortcut

http://tinyurl.com/ja6uqeq

Grotta area (old photo)

http://tinyurl.com/bmo9cnz

Edited: 14 October 2018, 22:35
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
5,670 posts
129 reviews
4. Re: Naxos hotels

Grotta gets good reviews and has a loyal clientele. The views up there are spectacular.

Personally though St George beach is the area were we prefer to stay. You get a beach vacation but are only a short stroll into Naxos town for all the activities of town. Not to mention the main transportation hub.

I have never stayed at Spiros but I have visited it several times and while its not directly on the beach most of the second story rooms have sea view. Spiros also has a very good outdoor pool. It is situated essentially beside Galaxy and behind Naxos Resort. Its about a two minute walk to St George beach.

Here are some images of hotel at st george. I have visited all of these hotels but have not stayed at all of them.

St George Beach Hotels Naxos flickr.com/photos/…

St George Beach Naxos flickr.com/photos/…

For fun here is a new album of Naxos sunsets.

Naxos sunsets https://www.flickr.com/photos/organize/…

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
8,303 posts
69 reviews
5. Re: Naxos hotels

We have stayed at Spiros Hotel and thoroughly recommend it. The staff, accommodations, breakfast and location were excellent. Here'a a link to photos we took: https://flic.kr/s/aHsjVbGPEX

We haven't stayed at Grotta yet, but have been inside the property and several rooms (pre-renovation) and really liked it. We would have stayed there instead of at Spiros, but the only room they had available at the time was not as nice as one we had been shown at Spiros.

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
14,679 posts
29 reviews
6. Re: Naxos hotels

Grotta has no beach near it but Spiro is very near st George's​ beach

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
266 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Naxos hotels

We have been to Hotel Spiros several times and loved it. We were supposed to go this year, but sadly ill health kept us away.

The photos Donny has posted are of the hotel we remember. Our friends stayed there this year and Hotel Spiros is now renovated. It was their first time, and they like us, love new spots, but are smitten and will return.Have a look at Spiros on line for 2018 pics.

We love the small but deep pool- (not as big as Galaxy next door,) but great after the beach, plenty of sun beds and shade for a drink. We love the absolute cleanliness of the property, the close proximity to the town, Chora and St George's beach and all of our favourite eateries.

We can't wait to be back in 2019. Naxos is a superb island. We will book with Hotel Spiros again. Happy travels!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,183 posts
164 reviews
8. Re: Naxos hotels

We stayed at Hotel Grotta in 2012. I don't know when the renovations took place but I gather from other posts that it is since that date. Nevertheless, we found the hotel to be all that we had read about it. We were greeted like family on our arrival, we had a lovely room overlooking the Agean and the breakfast, well even though it was 2012 I can still remember those breakfasts. We used the short cut into town in daylight but at night walked up the road which was not that much further. I can't comment on the pool but if the hotel is still anything like it was back when we stayed I would highly recommend it.

Reply to: Naxos hotels
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Naxos