We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Few Hours in Piraeus

concord nh
Level Contributor
4,627 posts
57 reviews
44 helpful votes
A Few Hours in Piraeus

On a just completed visit to Greece I needed to get away from Athens since I've been there numerous times and seen everything there is to see several times over.

I looked for somewhere to go that would be quick, easy and inexpensive. I've been to Hydra and that would entail to much time getting there and back, same for Aegina which I feel would be better for a couple days at least.

Where else?

Piraeus popped into my head. Many people consider it ugly and just a place to go for a ferry.

After research I decided there's more to Piraeus than meets the eye.

I took the Metro from Monistiraki Square for 1.40 euros and got to Piraeus in about 20 minutes.

I headed outside the station which in itself is quite different and amazing for a Metro Station and walked to the waterfront and saw all the gates, ferries and noise.

My goal was to walk to Zea Marina and Mikrolimano. In a little while the scenery got a little better and in fact turned out to be rather pleasant for a city experience. Zea Marina was filled with pleasure boats and a few fishing boats bringing in the day's catch. Lots of taverns, shops, and markets along the way and less tourist presence and in fact somewhat laid back and decent scenery. It was late morning but compared to Athens very quiet.

I continued walking and got to the beginning of Mikrolimano and it was also very nice, maybe a bit larger and more upscale but still not bad. It was getting late so I decided to turn back and took a side street for the Archeological Museum but since it was Monday knew it was closed but there is a nice fenced off area filled with artifacts which were easy to see then returned to the waterfront and headed back to the Metro Station.

However, I did stop at Souvlaki 24, a grill house recommended to me and had one of the best and least expensive lunches/meals I've had in Greece for 7.90 including a large Greek Beer.

On the way back I stopped at Piraeus' Central Markets which is similar but smaller than Athens' Market.

Went to the Metro Station, got my ticket, walked to the platform and in 5 minutes the Metro came and returned me to Athens.

Piraeus turned out to be a nice way to spend a few hours without a lot of expensive, travel and quickly.

You may want to consider Piraeus which has more to offer than a way to get to a Greek Island.

Check out this website for Piraeus:

http://www.destinationpiraeus.com/

18 replies to this topic
concord nh
Level Contributor
4,627 posts
57 reviews
44 helpful votes
11. Re: A Few Hours in Piraeus

I've been to the National Archeological museum several times and it is indeed wonderful . . . just like I've been to almost everything else there is to see in Athens several times over . . . that's why I needed another option to spend some time and Piraeus worked out great!

London, United...
Level Contributor
524 posts
24 reviews
15 helpful votes
12. Re: A Few Hours in Piraeus

I really like Piraeus, too. A very interesting place, and it can be surprisingly quiet away from the main port area. I always go there on my way to the islands, sometimes spending a day and night there. For me, there is nothing like sailing out of Piraeus on your way to the islands, and if I flew directly from Athens, I would really miss this. For us ferry watchers, it is absolute paradise, of course.

Edited: 23 October 2018, 19:50
Spydeberg, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
24,093 posts
43 reviews
113 helpful votes
13. Re: A Few Hours in Piraeus

Having a quiet stroll along the port in Zea Marina I suddenly found this:

https://flic.kr/p/67TBrq

Always things to discover - there is indeed lots to find if you take your time. This place had windows to get a look into the basement, which had parts of what used to be the old port. Another sign showed opening hours but they have never fit in when I have been visiting the area.

Edited: 23 October 2018, 20:16
London, United...
Level Contributor
524 posts
24 reviews
15 helpful votes
14. Re: A Few Hours in Piraeus

Nice photos of Piraeus, greek-traveler. You really could be on one of the busier islands looking at these. It's funny how if you scroll past them, and you see the port of Santorini, which looks scruffy and uninteresting in comparison. If only they knew!

Spydeberg, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
24,093 posts
43 reviews
113 helpful votes
15. Re: A Few Hours in Piraeus

Looking through the window to the basement this is the best photo I could get:

https://flic.kr/p/67TBtL

London, United...
Level Contributor
524 posts
24 reviews
15 helpful votes
16. Re: A Few Hours in Piraeus

I remember seeing a documentary (on the BBC, I think) a short while ago, where they showed these hidden basements in Piraeus.

concord nh
Level Contributor
4,627 posts
57 reviews
44 helpful votes
17. Re: A Few Hours in Piraeus

I also saw the documentary about Piraeus and the ancient shipyards and recent discoveries made there. The documentary also explained the sea battle with the Persians.

True . . . there are many things to discover in Piraeus . . . it has as much history as Central Athens. During Athens' Golden Age there were walls from Piraeus all the way to the Acropolis which protected the inside from attack.

Do not overlook Piraeus.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi, Kanchanaburi Province
Level Contributor
24,111 posts
42 reviews
34 helpful votes
18. Re: A Few Hours in Piraeus

Hi Yiassas,

It certainly is a lovely walk, I bet you don't come across many other foreigners.

Crazhy, next time you could take the 843 bus to Perama, you will pass shipyards on your left. And, from Perama it is possible to take a ferry to the nearby island Salamina.

Reply to: A Few Hours in Piraeus
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted