We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Few Hours in Piraeus

concord nh
Level Contributor
4,381 posts
54 reviews
A Few Hours in Piraeus

On a just completed visit to Greece I needed to get away from Athens since I've been there numerous times and seen everything there is to see several times over.

I looked for somewhere to go that would be quick, easy and inexpensive. I've been to Hydra and that would entail to much time getting there and back, same for Aegina which I feel would be better for a couple days at least.

Where else?

Piraeus popped into my head. Many people consider it ugly and just a place to go for a ferry.

After research I decided there's more to Piraeus than meets the eye.

I took the Metro from Monistiraki Square for 1.40 euros and got to Piraeus in about 20 minutes.

I headed outside the station which in itself is quite different and amazing for a Metro Station and walked to the waterfront and saw all the gates, ferries and noise.

My goal was to walk to Zea Marina and Mikrolimano. In a little while the scenery got a little better and in fact turned out to be rather pleasant for a city experience. Zea Marina was filled with pleasure boats and a few fishing boats bringing in the day's catch. Lots of taverns, shops, and markets along the way and less tourist presence and in fact somewhat laid back and decent scenery. It was late morning but compared to Athens very quiet.

I continued walking and got to the beginning of Mikrolimano and it was also very nice, maybe a bit larger and more upscale but still not bad. It was getting late so I decided to turn back and took a side street for the Archeological Museum but since it was Monday knew it was closed but there is a nice fenced off area filled with artifacts which were easy to see then returned to the waterfront and headed back to the Metro Station.

However, I did stop at Souvlaki 24, a grill house recommended to me and had one of the best and least expensive lunches/meals I've had in Greece for 7.90 including a large Greek Beer.

On the way back I stopped at Piraeus' Central Markets which is similar but smaller than Athens' Market.

Went to the Metro Station, got my ticket, walked to the platform and in 5 minutes the Metro came and returned me to Athens.

Piraeus turned out to be a nice way to spend a few hours without a lot of expensive, travel and quickly.

You may want to consider Piraeus which has more to offer than a way to get to a Greek Island.

Check out this website for Piraeus:

http://www.destinationpiraeus.com/

18 replies to this topic
Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Argolis Region
Level Contributor
6,924 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: A Few Hours in Piraeus

Looks like you had a good time in Piraeus. It has indeed more to offer than just being the gateway to the islands.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
12,359 posts
78 reviews
2. Re: A Few Hours in Piraeus

Did you go to the small free museum in Piraeus metro station? I found it fascinating & it’s open daily (except sundays), 9.30-14.00

http://www.stasy.gr/index.php?id=406&L=1

Edited: 20 October 2018, 05:56
concord nh
Level Contributor
4,381 posts
54 reviews
3. Re: A Few Hours in Piraeus

No . . . I wasn't even aware of it. Should have done a bit more research but there was plenty of other activities that kept me busy. Maybe next time.

London, United...
Level Contributor
20,948 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: A Few Hours in Piraeus

And next time go when it isn't Monday and the Archaeological Museum is open. It is very worth seeing.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
940 posts
16 reviews
5. Re: A Few Hours in Piraeus

I agree, Piraeus has lots to offer and is well worth some exploration.

Its a shame that most people just pass through on their way to or from the ferries without actually seeing any of the city.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,491 posts
42 reviews
6. Re: A Few Hours in Piraeus

Hi,

The walk around the coastal road to Kallipoli is worth doing from Passilimani. The small number of tourists who visit Piraeus help make it more appealing.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
12,359 posts
78 reviews
7. Re: A Few Hours in Piraeus

One of my regular walks Andy, usually start at Hatzikyriakou/Peiraiki, all the way along by the old wall, stop for a coffee & ferry watch for a while, continue to Psalimani, usually hot by then, most of it is in full sun, no matter what time of day!

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: A Few Hours in Piraeus

Next time you're in Athens, and if you haven't done it yet, you might want to spend some time at The Pinball Museum. 10 euros and you can play the 108 machines as long as you want.

https://www.facebook.com/AthensPinballMuseum/

concord nh
Level Contributor
4,381 posts
54 reviews
9. Re: A Few Hours in Piraeus

I only had Monday available and know most museums are closed but seeing the fenced area with the many artifacts made it worth the effort and it wasn't that far out of the way from the road along the waterfront.

It turned out to be a fine way to get out of and away from Athens for a few hours. It seems Athens has seen a rise in tourism since last October 2017 when I was last there and walking around Piraeus seemed a lot more relaxing

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
40,251 posts
660 reviews
10. Re: A Few Hours in Piraeus

Sounds like you had a great time. For Athens itself the National Archaeological Museum is worth a visit unless you don't want to be stuck inside a museum or not.

Reply to: A Few Hours in Piraeus
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Athens