We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CAXTON prepaid currency card warning.

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
103 reviews
251 helpful votes
CAXTON prepaid currency card warning.
Save

I thought it might be worth mentioning this especially as we are all travelling less at the moment.

For anyone who has one of these cards and is not aware, dormancy fees are now applied every month if there have been no transactions, card loads or balance switches in the previous 12 months.

It’s worth checking back on your transaction history if you think this could apply to you.

2 replies to this topic
England
Level Contributor
2,446 posts
12 reviews
47 helpful votes
1. Re: CAXTON prepaid currency card warning.
Save

Probably best to keep loading small amounts onto the card.

Personally, I've never gone for these cards. Don't like the idea of my money sat in someone else's bank account for long periods until I use it.

Unless you are good at currency speculating (and at the moment you are likely to lose out, because the pound is edging up) I doubt they are worthwhile.

Also, don't like the sharp practices outlined by QM above.

Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
2. Re: CAXTON prepaid currency card warning.
Save

Same with Travelex. £2 a month charge if not used for 12 months. We last used ours in Feb 2020 and it expired end of January 2021; did not renew it.

As always check the t&c's, but potentially a way round would be to do a minimum top up (£100 worth?) which should give you another 12 months "free".

Reply to: CAXTON prepaid currency card warning.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.