We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing money

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
58 posts
9 reviews
4 helpful votes
Changing money

I will be in alkmaar in November. Am I better off changing money in Amsterdam after i land or can I find a place to exchange money in alkmaar?

6 replies to this topic
Eureka, California
Level Contributor
6,707 posts
33 reviews
24 helpful votes
1. Re: Changing money

When you say "changing money, " do you mean actually changing US dollars to Euros, or getting money from an ATM?

The interest rate is the same nationwide and Alkmaar has the usual banks/ATMS found in Amsterdam.

Hoorn, The...
Level Contributor
117 posts
143 reviews
64 helpful votes
2. Re: Changing money

Assuming you will use an ATM (as everyone does), make sure you use a normal bank, not a money exchange office. You will get a better rate at these normal banks. Normal banks are ABN-Amro, ING or Rabobank. You will find them all over both cities.

UK
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
20,456 posts
27 reviews
41 helpful votes
3. Re: Changing money

I would get cash at the airport. You may want to buy a cup of coffee along the way... (And yes, definitely use an ATM)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
58 posts
9 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: Changing money

No ATM for me, I will have $500 American dollars looking for euros. I usually go to Pott Change off Damrak. If I don't have to stop exchange money would rather wait to get to my destination. Just was wondering if there is a dedicated place that's reputable

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
17,384 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Changing money

There's a Travelex in the train station. It's reputable but you won't get quite as good a rate as you would at Pott. On $500 you're only talking a few dollars at worst. Just be sure not to buy more euros than you need as you'll take a beat buying dollars back.

"Not all those who wander are lost.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
6,606 posts
107 reviews
267 helpful votes
6. Re: Changing money

I would never exchange money at the airport, they normally give the worst rates.

Reply to: Changing money
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Alkmaar
Recent Conversations
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.