We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a charmin coastal town with nice beach

5 posts
Looking for a charmin coastal town with nice beach
Save

Hi,

We, my girlfriend and I, would like to go on vacation to Sicily in July this year (only one week) and we're unsure what is the best place for us. We're specifically looking for a location that fits the following criteria:

- 15 min walk from the beach

- charming town (not too big)

- not a pure tourist place

- 1h drive from Catania or Palermo

We're thinking about Taormina (obviously...), but I'm afraid we're overlooking the distance from the centre to the beach. I was also thinking about Naxos but it seems to be a pure tourist place.

We went to Scilla (Calabria) and Villasimius (Sardegna) in the past and both places, especially Scilla, were awesome.

Looking forward for your recommendations. Thanks in advance. :-)

10 replies to this topic
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
185 posts
2 reviews
6 helpful votes
1. Re: Looking for a charmin coastal town with nice beach
Save

Cefalù

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,445 posts
81 reviews
72 helpful votes
2. Re: Looking for a charmin coastal town with nice beach
Save

I enjoy Taormina, but it's definitely full of tourists just like us. It's lovely, but it might not fit what you described.

Mestre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Crete, Istria, Cres, Krk, Sicily
Level Contributor
23,247 posts
108 reviews
91 helpful votes
3. Re: Looking for a charmin coastal town with nice beach
Save

Castellamare del golfo or Cefalu. Taormina is not 15min walk from the beach!

There are also towns (Aci Castello and so on) along the Riviera dei Ciclopi, but rocky beach

5 posts
4. Re: Looking for a charmin coastal town with nice beach
Save

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry, I made a mistake. Close to Palermo doesn't work since I just found there's no direct flight to get there at the moment. In this case, Cefalu is out.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
185 posts
2 reviews
6 helpful votes
5. Re: Looking for a charmin coastal town with nice beach
Save

You should seriously consider Milazzo. It ticks all your boxes except that it is one and a half hours by bus or shuttle from the airport in Catania. The beach at Ponente (a pebble/shingle beach) has the best sunset views of any beach in the East of Sicily. You can pay to use a lido for the day, or pitch up anywhere else on the beach for free. You can stay in the town at any one of the dozens of very nice B&Bs and you will be less than 15 mins walk from the beach. And there are some great, inexpensive restaurants for the evening.

In the school holidays (mid-July onwards) it can be a bit crowded with northern Italians, but in the early part of July it is perfect.

And if you get bored, you can always take a day trip to Lipari or elsewhere in the Aeolians.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
128,038 posts
6. Re: Looking for a charmin coastal town with nice beach
Save

Take a look at Letojanni.

And for a Bandiera Blu beach, Santa Teresa di Riva!!!

http://www.bandierablu.org/common/blueflag.asp?anno=2021&tipo=bb

Vagabonda

5 posts
7. Re: Looking for a charmin coastal town with nice beach
Save

@Milazzo06

Thanks for your recommendation. I will look up more information about this place, although it seems to be quite a long drive from Catania.

@Vagabonda

What is a "bandiere blu beach"? Especially clean? Have you been to Letojanni before? Is it similar to Naxos? I looked it up on google maps and there's a railroad going straight through that place, Looks not like an "organic town" to me. However, I'll do more research on that place. Thanks for your recommendation.

5 posts
8. Re: Looking for a charmin coastal town with nice beach
Save

We finally decided to book a B&B in Naxos. I think it's the best option after reading all the comments and other topics on this board.

We will stay there from Jul 10 to 17 and I hope it won't be overcrowded.

Thank you all for your help.

Mestre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Crete, Istria, Cres, Krk, Sicily
Level Contributor
23,247 posts
108 reviews
91 helpful votes
9. Re: Looking for a charmin coastal town with nice beach
Save

So you changed your mind about Giardini Naxos

5 posts
10. Re: Looking for a charmin coastal town with nice beach
Save

Yes. Cefalu would have been my #1 choice but I only have 7 days and I don't want to spend 2 days in the car or public transport.

Reply to: Looking for a charmin coastal town with nice beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.